I am starting this lawn jornal to chronicle my journey this year (2022).
Here's some background on my 2 lawn types (Emerald zoysia front and sides-9K ft2) and Zenith Zoysia back yard-9,500 FT2).
Moved into New home construction in July 2019 with Emerald Zoysia sod installed by builder as an upgrade to bermuda they have common Bermuda in every other yard. I had zoysia for 25+ years at my old house, but never had the time to spend taking care of the lawn as much as I enjoy doing it now due to kids.
Now that we are empty nesters, I decided last year to take the reel mower plunge and got a used Tru-Cut 27" reel mower and cut my front yard at about 1.25"
My back yard was not sodded and the builder threw out a little seed (probably fescue) and straw and very little grass came up, but a ton of weeds. My back yard has some undulating areas for directing rain run off to a culvert between our house and the neighbors'. I ordered 20 pallets of Zenith Zoysia from super-sod for my back yard in October of 2019 to keep erosion at bay. It has done well (no losses in any areas of the 9,500 FT2 I laid.
I have been cutting the Zenith Zoysia (medium blade thickness) with a cub cadet riding 3 blade mower since installing it at 1.5-2" HOC.
Both front and especially the back yard need to get leveled and top dressed, so the back was more bumpy than the front, so reel mowing was not a great option.
List of things I want to get accomplished this year with front lawn (Emerald Zoysia - finer blade grass) and back yard (Zenith Zoysia)
Emerald Zoysia lawn - 9,000 FT2
- I have scheduled a local company (all turf) to come in April to core aerate and top dress 1/4'-1/2" with a 60/40 mix of sand & worm castings.
- In preparation for that, I have brought the HOC down, final cut today to 9/16" with my newly acquired Toro Greensmaster 1600
- maintain HOC at 3/4" (maybe lower) using Toro GM 1600 this year and see how I like the look and ability to maintain at that height.
- Apply 1Lb - 1.5 Lb of N over the growing season using Pro-peat 17-0-4 or 13-5-8 depending on soil sample results. I used Pro-Peat last year doing light applications every 2 weeks instead of once a month and really liked the results, so bought enough for both front and back for the year last fall (Glad I did, now that fert prices are out of control).
- Apply 2 heavy applications of Anderson's Humic acid (1 after the core aeration and top dressing, the other in June to help the soil composition and nutrient uptake.
- Upload pics each week or 2 to note progression.
As I know this forum will do, always interested in critiques as to my plan and progress (especially from Zoysia lawn owners).
Front and side yard (Emerald Zoysia) after cut down to 9/16"
Zenith Zoysia lawn area - 9,500 FT2
- Core aerate in May
- Apply Humic Acid in May and June to help improve soil quality
- Cut back yard with Toro at same HOC (3/4") like front yard, or use my Tru cut and maintain HOC at around 1" I don't want to have to adjust HOC on Toro 2x each week to cut front at 3/4" and back at 1" - Have to think about that one.
- Apply 1.5-2 lbs on N total for growing season using Pro-peat as well.
- Won't top dress this year, will have to wait until next year.
- Upload pics every week or 2 to note progression.
Pics of back yard (Zenith Zoysia) after HOC 11/16"