Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a JD 2653 to help high school baseball team with field maintenance. It ran fine for a couple of months. No signs of any problems. Started right up. It is stored in a SeaVan which has rust holes in roof. Normally not an issue in sunny CA. However, before the holidays we received a lot of rain, so the mower got very wet and moisture has been “trapped” in SeaVan. I’m still working to dry it out.
Now it will not even crank. I have plenty of battery power. Dash warning lights illuminate when ignition is turned on. Replaced damaged brake safety switch hoping that was the issue but it has not made a difference.
Any suggestions for where to start (intentional pun)? It feels like a safety switch or relay issue but that’s just a guess.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

· Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,576 Posts
With all that moisture, I’m sure rust has set in somewhere. Check all you connections for rust and tightness. I would also try cranking it while tapping/hitting the solenoid on the starter.

· Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,234 Posts
Do you have a test light? $5 tool from any Harbor Freight or Auto Parts store. Test from the small wire at the starter solenoid (usually purple on a Deere?) to ground. If it lights up when you hit the key, the issue is in the starter, solenoid, or grounding of the starter/engine block. If it does not light up, then the issue is in the battery, key switch, safety switches, or wiring/grounding. You can also throw 12V+ to that small terminal (via jumper wire to battery +) on the solenoid and if it cranks, it's not the starter, solenoid, or engine grounding.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a test light? $5 tool from any Harbor Freight or Auto Parts store. Test from the small wire at the starter solenoid (usually purple on a Deere?) to ground. If it lights up when you hit the key, the issue is in the starter, solenoid, or grounding of the starter/engine block. If it does not light up, then the issue is in the battery, key switch, safety switches, or wiring/grounding. You can also throw 12V+ to that small terminal (via jumper wire to battery +) on the solenoid and if it cranks, it's not the starter, solenoid, or engine grounding.
Thank you - I have a multimeter but a test light is an easier idea. I’ll try to jump the solenoid as well so I can identify which components to focus on. Much appreciated.

· Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,234 Posts
Thank you - I have a multimeter but a test light is an easier idea. I’ll try to jump the solenoid as well so I can identify which components to focus on. Much appreciated.
That meter will work too. Just keep in mind that it's high impedance and will not put any load on a circuit to ferret out poor contact/connection.

· Registered
2000sq ft. PRG/Bentgrass mix
66 Posts
Hi there, I've worked on both the 2653 (gas model with 26" heads) and the 2653A (diesel model with 30" heads). Which machine do you have? I may be able to help you out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts