Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
These threads are a great idea. I could have used some 1st hand advice a couple of years ago when I first got my Eclipse.
I have a circa 2010 Eclipse 26. Feel free to send me a message if anyone has any questions.
I also had a 22" greens king for a short time. Not much experience to share from that one, however.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Michael303 said:
I have a question on the Eclipse models. The spec sheet says it's max height of cut is about 0.5". Is that just set by the front roller and would it be possible to modify that to get it closer to 1.5"
Yes, HOC is adjusted at the front roller. It would be very difficult to modify the brackets for a 1.5 HOC, but not impossible.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
Redtenchu said:
Michael303 said:
I have a question on the Eclipse models. The spec sheet says it's max height of cut is about 0.5". Is that just set by the front roller and would it be possible to modify that to get it closer to 1.5"
Yes, HOC is adjusted at the front roller. It would be very difficult to modify the brackets for a 1.5 HOC, but not impossible.
I thought Jacobsen made some brackets that you could buy to help raise the HOC. I vaguely remember someone that had a Jacobsen doing it.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
I thought Jacobsen made some brackets that you could buy to help raise the HOC. I vaguely remember someone that had a Jacobsen doing it.
I only know the Toro Flex21 has an optional bracket set that raises the HOC from 0.50 up to 0.75.

I don't see any for the Jacobsen (Didn't look super hard) and I would be very surprised if the brackets raised the HOC above 1.0

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
I want to say it was Tigertailbell that did it to his after he got it. I agree that it most likely won't take it above 1" for HOC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
I want to say it was Tigertailbell that did it to his after he got it. I agree that it most likely won't take it above 1" for HOC.
My newer eclipse 126 came with the higher brackets. I recently got my hands on another 126 that appears to be a few years older (slightly different adjustment options) and to my disappointment, the max HOC is about. .7".
The brackets do appear to be the same as the flex brackets so those might work? They're also pretty simple in design- I imagine someone that was handy with a welder could fabricate them to adjust more.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Jacobsen 518a that I purchased from the weeks auction. I've been using it for a few weeks now and when I mow it leaves strips of taller grass. No matter which direction or how many times i go over it. Could this be just an issue with the mower or just due to my yard still not being very flat? The strips are on the more uneven part of the yard. Not sure if you can tell much from the pictures below

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with your mower. It's probably a combination of your lawn not being smooth/flat enough and your grass being a little puffy from not mowing with a reel mower all season. What HOC are you at?

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
I agree with MQ, it's the puffy grass and uneven ground.

Sometimes I see those lines on my lawn. Double mowing in a checker or diamond pattern normally fixes it for that day. Long term you'll need to verticut and/or sand the lawn to fix the issue.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 522A arrived today which I bought from Weeks Auciton. No issues with starting it although the idle needs a little work. The drive, reel, and groomer all engaged without issue. The bedknife needs to be replaced but the reel seems to be in good condition. It also missing the parking lever and cable, as well as, the lockout lever. I may or may not replace these since I don't have a use for them atm. There are some cosmetic issues which should be easy to fix. I'll be taking lots of pictures during the restoration and will be posting in another thread. I can't wait to use this thing!

Fred approves!

·
Super Moderator
2,338 Posts
Can anyone help me identify what model this is?

I called the seller but he doesn't know what model it is. He just said 22" greens mower. :lol:

·
Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,178 Posts
It's definitely a GreensKing 4/500 series machine. They are pretty similar regardless of the individual model. I don't think it's an "a" machine but it's possible that it is indeed an "a" model that had an 11-blade reel swapped in. That one has the older style clutch and controls.

"A" model Jakes are factory equipped as tee and approach mowers. 8 blade reels and high-cut (not fairway tho) bedknives.

EDIT: The above is not true - the "a" models are just newer versions for the 518, 522, and 526. There are at least 2 versions that I have seen, with InCommand controls and without.

·
Registered
232 Posts
MasterMech said:
It's definitely a GreensKing 4/500 series machine. They are pretty similar regardless of the individual model. I don't think it's an "a" machine but it's possible that it is indeed an "a" model that had an 11-blade reel swapped in. That one has the older style clutch and controls.

"A" model Jakes are factory equipped as tee and approach mowers. 8 blade reels and high-cut (not fairway tho) bedknives.
We concluded that it was a 422 based off of the throttle lever.

1 - 20 of 803 Posts