Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of planting a windbreak which will include over 70 trees. Will want Az Cypress & Austrian Pine. Died anyone know where I can get these in 1 gallon or bare root?
Was going to get 5 gallon containers but will need to commute over 8 hrs for each trip (total of about 4 trips). I figured I could have smaller bare root shipped for less than the 5 gal. trees.

· Registered
568 Posts
I bought a bare root Sugar Maple through Etsy of all places, so you may want to try there. I believe it was a small-time nursury from the Midwest that was the actual seller. If you're planning on 70 trees, then yes, bare root would be the cheapest option. However, they'd be smaller when you planted them.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a bare root Sugar Maple through Etsy of all places, so you may want to try there. I believe it was a small-time nursury from the Midwest that was the actual seller. If you're planning on 70 trees, then yes, bare root would be the cheapest option. However, they'd be smaller when you planted them.
Etsy? I would want to buy from a reputable nursery. Etsy seems to sell, pretty much, everything.

· Registered
568 Posts
Etsy? I would want to buy from a reputable nursery. Etsy seems to sell, pretty much, everything.
Etsy is just the intermediary, and you can see the names of the nurseries that sell via the platform, their ratings, etc. You could also just do a nation-wide search for nurseries if you're going with bare root to have them shipped, and you could probably get a pretty good deal based on your quantity.

· Registered
27 Posts
I’ve planted hundreds of bare root trees with good success (80+% survival after three years). But they were planted in TN and NC, not AZ, and there’s a significant difference in the growing conditions between the two.

I think your success will be determined by how well the trees are packaged for transport, how well the roots stay moist in transit, and how well you’re able to keep the roots moist until the trees are established. The trees may also benefit from temporary screening to diminish the effect of winds and sun. You’ll want to get them in the ground while it’s still cold enough to keep them dormant for a little bit - probably before the end of February.

My bare root trees haven’t done a whole lot of growing during the first year after planting, then grow a noticeable amount in Year Two, and really take off in Year Three. I think it will take many years (e.g., five to ten years) before your bare root trees will produce an acceptable wind break. When you’re planting bare root trees you’re trading low initial cost for a long time horizon (and in Snowflake, AZ, I think you’ll also spend quite a lot more time tending the trees). Although 1 gallon or 3 gallon trees might initially cost a good deal more, I think they would produce an effective wind break far faster and with less effort on your part.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve planted hundreds of bare root trees with good success (80+% survival after three years). But they were planted in TN and NC, not AZ, and there’s a significant difference in the growing conditions between the two.

I think your success will be determined by how well the trees are packaged for transport, how well the roots stay moist in transit, and how well you’re able to keep the roots moist until the trees are established. The trees may also benefit from temporary screening to diminish the effect of winds and sun. You’ll want to get them in the ground while it’s still cold enough to keep them dormant for a little bit - probably before the end of February.

My bare root trees haven’t done a whole lot of growing during the first year after planting, then grow a noticeable amount in Year Two, and really take off in Year Three. I think it will take many years (e.g., five to ten years) before your bare root trees will produce an acceptable wind break. When you’re planting bare root trees you’re trading low initial cost for a long time horizon (and in Snowflake, AZ, I think you’ll also spend quite a lot more time tending the trees). Although 1 gallon or 3 gallon trees might initially cost a good deal more, I think they would produce an effective wind break far faster and with less effort on your part.
Well, I'm looking for Az Cypress. Need about 30-40 trees for a windbreak & many nurseries only carry the 5 -15 gallon trees, which is quite expensive. Most dont carry bare root & if they do, they're seedlings. I'm looking for about 3-4 ft bare root which in getting for Arstrian Pine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts