Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these Sprinkler Gauge a few years ago and they are perfect for finding out exactly how much your sprinklers put out for a given time. I have used them to calibrate and adjust all my heads so they are all putting out the same rate of water. Knowing all of that also comes in handy if you have a Rachio as you can put that info into the controller. for $1.50 each, it's almost hard not to purchase a few of them to use. I may buy more in the future so I can do more heads at once. It is really an eye opener to see how much water actually gets put down each time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for this post. I have used the "tuna can" method in the past, which is effective but had been looking to buy some actual gauges. The ones I found before were two to three times this price.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wes said:
Thanks for this post. I have used the "tuna can" method in the past, which is effective but had been looking to buy some actual gauges. The ones I found before were two to three times this price.
That's what we are here for!!! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
I found these Sprinkler Gauge a few years ago and they are perfect for finding out exactly how much your sprinklers put out for a given time. I have used them to calibrate and adjust all my heads so they are all putting out the same rate of water. Knowing all of that also comes in handy if you have a Rachio as you can put that info into the controller. for $1.50 each, it's almost hard not to purchase a few of them to use. I may buy more in the future so I can do more heads at once. It is really an eye opener to see how much water actually gets put down each time.

Thanks for this info! Just bought myself 20. I figure that it is cheaper than calling someone out to do it for me!

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,314 Posts
Hunter MP nozzles output around ~0.4in/hr in a proper head to head setup. This is actually a design feature to allow the soil to absorb the water instead of running of. what is your hunter nozzle/head.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
MsTin said:
They arrived. I have 12 zones and placed them during a 30 minute run on one zone and got barely anything in the gauges! Can this be right?
Are your gauges okay? I mean, like there isn't a drain hole in the bottom of them or anything? If not, then, yes what you measured is much more likely to be right than anything that we can tell you from online!

In general, irrigation systems typically put down much less water per hour than people realize. It's common to think that watering each zone for 30 minutes is a lot of watering, but depending upon the water pressure, nozzle size, placement of heads, etc., I've generally observed that watering significantly (especially if trying to do 1" of water a week all in one watering) takes MUCH longer than people typically think. In the zone where I was just moving sod this morning, it takes me 37 minutes to provide 1/4" of water. Yes, an inch of water in that zone requires 4 * 37 minutes = 148 minutes = 2 hours, 28 minutes.

People who have never measured the output of their sprinkler system are generally stunned to find out how little water they've actually been applying!

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ken-n-nancy said:
People who have never measured the output of their sprinkler system are generally stunned to find out how little water they've actually been applying!
+1 Truer words have never been spoken :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
ken-n-nancy said:
+1 Truer words have never been spoken :D
Well now I'm kind of afraid to check! LOL!

Good info folks... I suspect this analysis is in my near future...gulp...

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
MsTin said:
They arrived. I have 12 zones and placed them during a 30 minute run on one zone and got barely anything in the gauges! Can this be right? My system is Hunter with Hunter sprinkler heads. :search:
I have hunter PGP's with red nozzles installed(#6 for 360°, #3 or #4 on 180°, and #2 for 90°). My precip rate is around .2" an hour. There was a couple reasons I set them up for such a low precip rate, but like you are seeing, 30 minutes would barely wet the bottom of the gauge as it takes me 300 minutes to put down 1".

·
Registered
86 Posts
g-man said:
Hunter MP nozzles output around ~0.4in/hr in a proper head to head setup. This is actually a design feature to allow the soil to absorb the water instead of running of. what is your hunter nozzle/head.
I have rain bird 12H nozzles and Hunter PGP with the blue nozzles mostly installed. :(

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
My weather station has only recorded an inch of rain in the last month, so the irrigation system is getting a good workout.

I noticed these gauges are back in stock on my Amazon Wish List. Whether you have an in ground system or are using hose end sprinklers, these will tell you A LOT about how much water you are actually putting down. :nod:

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
kolbasz said:
I hate that these seem expensive. You would think they would be about half that
I'm on the other side - I think they're a great value. They're basically $1.50 ea, plus shipping - 10 gauges for less than 20 bucks. Knowing the actual precipitation rate of each zone could save someone that much on their water bill in short order if they find that they are over watering - or save some real headaches if they find they aren't watering enough or have dry spots in their sprinkler design.

·
Registered
968 Posts
As an alternative, if quick and cheap is the order of the day, I got around 75 plastic shot glasses at 7-11 free for the asking and hot glued a framing nail on the bottom of each.

The sides are sloped so they are not as 100% accurate as Ware's, but certainly close enough. I need a lot of them so cost is a factor.

Here's a photo from when I made them (rule for scale - and yes, the line of them keeps going right on down the countertop):

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Delmarva Keith said:
As an alternative, if quick and cheap is the order of the day, I got around 75 plastic shot glasses at 7-11 free for the asking and hot glued a framing nail on the bottom of each.

The sides are sloped so they are not as 100% accurate as Ware's, but certainly close enough. I need a lot of them so cost is a factor.

Here's a photo from when I made them (rule for scale - and yes, the line of them keeps going right on down the countertop):

That's awesome. Only issue with using tapered containers is that the actual amounts won't show up accurately, but for relative comparisons, no one cares about that. If you do find a way to calibrate them, please let us know. It should be doable. I looked it up once...there's some math involved.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.