Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 I spent it bringing back my lawn (2.5K sqft)after not caring for it the previous year (2015). Purple Nutsedge had basically taken over and finally found a product that worked for me (Certainty).

I also converted about 1.5ksqft of tifway to celebration Bermuda after 2 apps of roundup and then using my proplugger to plug the area.

Thanks to a warm winter, my celebration plugs took off and took over. You can still see tifway here and there but it is being over taken by celebration.

Now my goal is to maintain my lawn below 3/8" all year long. Im am shooting for a HOC of ¼" and am going to try to keep it there.
So far I have taken the lawn down to .25" and a small area even took it down to bare dirt (accidently after getting carried away with my new toy, but it is filling in nicely).
My next plan is to fertilize (based on soil test), add one yard of sand to smooth it out a bit, and then just mow with my groomer set at 25-50% below HOC (will play it by ear). Once It fully greens up, I will then vertticut, aerate and topdress.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Looking great Irias!!!! It will be interesting to see who can keep their lawn under ".50 all year. I will definitely be following along for sure!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Me too lol. I'll definitely be needing everyone's help.
I was able to maintain at .5" all year long so I'm sure I can handle it. Last year I basically plugged "aerated" my yard and sanded twice and detached late in the year which kept it in control.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
I'm sure all that maintenance you did helped keep the "grain" at bay. I thought I put a lot work into my lawn!! :lol:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Done scalping!!! Today I Double Verticut and then lowered the groomer to soil level and kept .25" HOC. I just have some sections around the street that need the string trimmer. Tomorrow I'm topdressing.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Are the edges still green because they are sloped?

Looks great and can't wait to see it once it all greens back up!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
One more question, TOG and I were wondering with all the plugs you did last year, 1. What did you fill all those holes with after removing the Celebration plug, and 2. Did you put the plugs into or on top of the dead 419?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Are the edges still green because they are sloped?

Looks great and can't wait to see it once it all greens back up!!!
Sorry been busy! Water break...
Okay, there are a couple of reasons why the edges are still green. Most of the green that you see is mostly tifway. It's so short that the mower didn't reach it and the verticutter just made ridges. Also, the ground is not as dry and it was hard to mow close to the edges with the Jacobsen. I ended up manually taking it and used the weed eater to finish the job.

After pulling plugs I used sand to fill them up. I didn't take up the dead tifway. I just put down the plugs. My plan was to verticutt but I never did.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Looking great Irias!! Your plugs look a lot more uniform than mine do(I still own you one don't I ?). Using all that sand and your homemade Levellawn looks to be getting the job done!! You are definitely inspiring me!!

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Iriasj2009 said:
Thanks MQ, but I'm only dealing with 2.5k sqft whereas you are dealing with 4-5Xas much?!! Just thinking about doing this times 5 gives me a headache haha.
If it's any consolation, I only have about 3X what you have!! :lol: About 8K

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
8K?! Mad respect man lol. Keep up the work! Yea I'm glad I'm done for now. I have other projects that I needa take care of. Now i just needa figure out where to set my groomer at. Red, what height will you be mowing at???

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
I would set the groomer at about 50% below your HOC and then adjust it up or down depending on your results, that's my plan at least.

How much sand did you use over 2.5K? I'm wanting to put a light coating down before it all greens up but haven't figured out how much I need.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it. I bought 1 yard of sand. I think it was more than enough. A spreader would have been nice as I think I would have been able to use less sand and spread it more evenly. Sand was very wet either way but I'm happy the way it turned out.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.