Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, first post. I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts, learned allot already and my lawn has reaped the benefits. I live in West Texas on the high plains, hence the user name(pronounced Yano not Lano) . The wife and I had a house built about a year and half ago. Had celebration bermuda put down. I chose it because I never knew what my old yard was but it was always too tall for my liking, and I thought it was the grass. Read about celebration and it said it was slow growing and liked to be cut rather low. So, new yard and new season of mowing I quickly decided that the new yard(and probably old one too) was to uneven to mow as low as I wanted. My toro rotary was scalping too many areas, plus I wasn't keeping the blades sharpened enough. So I was back to mowing it too tall 2"+ and just didn't look great, tearing lots of grass vs cutting. This also lead to a murderous scalping job in the spring. So began researching and decided to get away from my rotary mower and move to a reel mower. Found a used Tru-Cut on craigslist and tore it down completely and rebuilt it. Put a new Harbor Freight engine on it, new bearings, chains, bedknife, clutch assembly even sandblasted and repainted it. Lots of work but almost good as new for half the price and was kinda fun to tinker on. Been using it since the mowing season started and really liking it. Got my HOC down to around a half inch. Seems the reel is actually more forgiving of the uneven yard than the rotary. I was always under the impression the yard had to be very level for a reel. So I'm reel mowing now and learned if it looks like it needs to be cut its probably already too tall. We've had good rains this year, and I'm having to mow every other day to keep it where I want and its getting old. Learned about PGR from this forum and sprayed my yard for the first time last Friday. I can see its working already and I'm liking this. Applied some Ferromec iron along with the PGR and it has greened up as well.

So now I'm looking to level the yard. So this brings me to a couple of questions. My grass is short and dense like I want in areas, but there are some areas of thatch and less dense growth.

1. Should I dethatch or verticut the entire yard before beginning to level? Can't find a dedicated verticutter for rent but I did find a Classen Overseeder that looks like it will also function as a verticutter.
2. Is it too late in the season to verticut? It is generally 95F+ everyday from now till the end of August for us.
3. Do I need to cut any lower than I currently am before beginning to level? Or is around a half inch good?

Thank in advance for the help.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
First, welcome to TLF!

1) I think it's easier to work the sand into the places it needs to be after a good verticutting/dethatching, but it does do more damage. The overseeder should work fine if that's what you can get your hands on.

2) Definitey not too late to verticut/level if you can handle the heat. If you can give it some extra water/nutrients, it should recover quickly in these temps.

3) I verticut and did some leveling this past weekend at 1/2" HOC. Normally I would said the lower the better for a leveling job, but the dethatching will really open up the canopy for you. Here are some photos.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ware. I sprayed T-Pac PGR this past Friday. Should I wait to verticut until after the PRG has worn off and its growing fast again? And if anyone wants to know T-Pac at domyownlawn.com is no longer available. If anyone knows of alternatives that can be had in less than gallon quantities please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
Llano Estacado said:
Thanks Ware. I sprayed T-Pac PGR this past Friday. Should I wait to verticut until after the PRG has worn off and its growing fast again? And if anyone wants to know T-Pac at domyownlawn.com is no longer available. If anyone knows of alternatives that can be had in less than gallon quantities please let me know.
I know this may be late but you can go ahead and verticut now as you don't have to wait for the PGR to wear off.

I have done a recent search for any PGR in smaller quantities than a gallon and came up empty. I think some of those companies were cutting it into smaller bottles in house and reselling it and probably got told to stop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.