Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1191 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I might be jumping the gun about this, maybe it can be a good reference for those who don't know about it. This will be my first year using it. I am splitting a gallon with a friend (T-nex 1 aq).

What type do you use?

What are the pros and cons?

Tips for newbies?

Anything else you want to add.

JB

· Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
jbrown said:
Ok I might be jumping the gun about this, maybe it can be a good reference for those who don't know about it. This will be my first year using it. I am splitting a gallon with a friend (T-nex 1 aq).

What type do you use?

What are the pros and cons?

Tips for newbies?

Anything else you want to add.

JB
I use Podium, made from the same company that makes Primo Maxx

Pros- Less mowing, more lateral growth maybe even a little darker color

Tips- Make sure your sprayer is calibrated

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,867 Posts
Great topic.

I use T-Pac E-Pro, which is generic Primo Maxx (11.3% Trinexapac-ethyl). T-Pac is one of the only options I have found available in quarts.

No real cons that I've noticed, other than the time it takes to spray it. A good calibrated sprayer like this or this is very helpful in getting your application rates right.

I would say it's almost necessary if you're maintaining bermuda under an inch (unless you don't mind mowing A LOT), but it's important to note that reduced mowing frequency is only one of the several benefits of using it.

· Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,576 Posts
I used Primo Maxx originally when I first started out and bought a gallon of it. I think it ended up going bad after 3-4 years as it didn't seem to work as well and left a brown tint to the grass after application and the "smell" went away also.

I now have a quart of T-Pac that I bought last year, so hopefully that should last me the season. I know the label says to use .38oz/K but I have found that .5oz/K is best. I have also used up to .75oz/K when I was going on vacation with no ill effect.

I can't think of any cons to using it except that once you start you can't stop(but you won't want to). Supposedly there is a rebound effect when it comes out of control but I have yet to read about that happening to anybody but I could be wrong. You will need to apply it every 3-4 weeks to maintain control. You should see a darker color and less mowing with it.

Make sure you calibrate your sprayer so you know EXACTLY how much you are applying every 1K of lawn. You don't have to be super precise but you still need to be pretty close. Also make sure you get complete coverage or else you will know where you missed. It is absorbed through the plant tissue so if you are able to select different spray tips, use one with a finer spray pattern. I know some on here have used MSO(Methylated Seed Oil) with it to help penetrate the leaf blades, I may try this technique this year too!

The MSO you would add at a rate of 1oz/K

· Super Moderator
3,094 Posts
I also use T-Pac (11.3% Trinexapac-ethyl).

I like that it can be purchased in smaller amounts (quart and even an 8oz).

I've used from 0.25- 1.0 oz per 1K/lawn with no ill effects.

In my experience, 1.0 oz per 1k does not give you 4 times the control! I'm guessing after about .4-.5oz range I began to see diminishing returns on the products control. I assume the plant can only take up so much, or hold so much. I've only used it one season, so I'm far from an expert.

I use a surfactant when I apply, but the label does not specifically recommend it like some other foliar products.

If you plan to cut below .5 then you need it! If you plan to cut between 0.5-1.0 then you'll want it.

Of all the chemicals I've used on the lawn, this one is by far my favorite!

+1 to all the comments about a quality sprayers and full coverage of the lawn.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Here is another good reason to consider using a PGR...

This 1-gallon jug of T-Nex costs about $160 delivered ($1.25/oz). Let's say I apply it to my bermuda at a rate of 0.40 oz per thousand, once every 3-4 weeks during the growing season. It's only going to cost me about 50 cents per thousand, or roughly $4 per app to treat my ~8k ft2 lawn.

If I am maintaining my bermuda under 1" HOC, I am probably going to save at least a couple cuts during that 3-4 week period (likely more). So the question becomes... Is it worth a couple bucks to get to skip a cut here and there and spend that time with the family? I guess it depends on how much you like them. :lol:

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are awesome!!! I am going to get T-nex and split the gallon with a neighbor. I'll be spraying about an 8K ft^2 lawn. I was cutting my yard every other day :shock:

Not this year!

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
jbrown said:
You guys are awesome!!! I am going to get T-nex and split the gallon with a neighbor. I'll be spraying about an 8K ft^2 lawn. I was cutting my yard every other day :shock:

Not this year!
Depending on HOC, I don't think you'll have any trouble cutting that mowing frequency in ~half with Primo. Now you might still decide to sneak an extra cut in here and there, but it will be elective vs necessity. Those are the fun cuts. :D

· Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
jbrown said:

Not this year!
What height are you planning on cutting at?

· Registered
859 Posts
Rates for celebration are less than tifway. .18oz/Ksqft if my math is right. Watch min 3:50. They use 8oz/acre.
This is what I'm planning on doing. I used more before and celebration didn't like it much.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBlS4Elsz5g

· Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
At those heights you should only have to mow every 4 days, just watch your Nitrogen input.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Iriasj2009 said:
Rates for celebration are less than tifway. .18oz/Ksqft if my math is right. Watch min 3:50. They use 8oz/acre.
This is what I'm planning on doing. I used more before and celebration didn't like it much.
Your math looks right - 8oz per acre (43,560 ft2) would be about 0.18 oz per thousand.

And good point... with any product, it's important to read and understand the label recommendations for your particular grass type and growing conditions. If you are unsure how your turf will react to a product, it's best start low and ease into a rate that achieves your desired results.

This is from a generic Primo (T-Pac E-Pro) label. Note how application rate varies turf type and growing conditions.

To apply PGR, I use an XR TeeJet nozzle. More information about nozzle selection can be found in this thread.

· Registered
146 Posts
Ware said:
Iriasj2009 said:
Your math looks right - 8oz per acre (43,560 ft2) would be about 0.18 oz per thousand.

And good point... with any product, it's important to read and understand the label recommendations for your particular grass type and growing conditions. If you are unsure how your turf will react to a product, it's best start low and ease into a rate that achieves your desired results.

This is from a generic Primo (T-Pac E-Pro) label. Note how application rate varies turf type and growing conditions.

To apply PGR, I use an XR TeeJet nozzle. More information about nozzle selection can be found in this thread.
John, you rock! I noticed that there were footnotes on the label that you posted and I was going to ask you if you could provide the source so I could read those. I know, I know, I'm lazy and could have tried to find it myself. ;)

After closing the tab with the image I double-checked your post and realized you posted this source as well. Thanks for being one step ahead of me! Instead of asking for the source, I'm using this portion of cyberspace to say thanks for the thorough post.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Ha, glad to help. I wanted to include the footnotes in the snip, but they were lengthy and I was having trouble getting everything to fit on this little MacBook Air screen. I do consciously try to include relevant links every chance I get. It only takes a few more seconds while you're already there, versus (like you said) making folks go out and search for it again on their own.

· Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
Tracker dye is tracker dye!!! A little goes a long way so wherever you buy your PGR just pick up a bottle of dye too! I bought some at TSC a few years back. I kind of like the ones with the measured squeeze dispenser. :)

· Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
Redtenchu said:
I prefer the blue myself, seems to show much better on the grass, and that's the whole point right?
What other color Marker dye is there?

1 - 20 of 1191 Posts