Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago on advice from a trusted family member I used some Scotts Sun and Shade seeds to try to fix some areas of the lawn that were dying off from shade. One area in particular was about 200-250 sq ft that died in probably 2 seasons and had almost no sun most of the day. I think we have since fixed a lot of the shade issues letting the biggest area get a whole lot more sun except what is right next to the house and is shaded from the eaves. Now I am wanting to try to kill off the fescue that is there to let the Bermuda start creeping back over, and follow RedTenchu's advice of putting in stolons to help. I probably would not have cared too much about keeping the fescue if it was one variety but wow is it really was a mix of some ugly stuff.

I have read some conflicting things but is it safe to use Image during the summer with temps in the 80s-90s and probably coming up on 100s over the next month? I could have sworn the bottle said for use in winter to help prevent winter weeds, but I have read other people use it during the growth season so the Bermuda will fill in the areas. Is there anything that is easy to get a hold of that would work better?

At least one variety of the fescue looks to be dying off on its own from heat and cutting it shorter, but the tall fescue in particular is staying around in big clumps. I'm pretty sure it has spread its own seed around the lawn a little bit. I also probably didn't get all the seeds cleaned out well enough in the spreader because there are some random areas throughout the yard that have fescue too that I don't remember specifically overseeding. So I will likely be needing to spray almost all of the backyard to deal with it too.

I will try to add some pictures later if I can get out there and have good lighting.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
I didn't see any temperature restrictions on the label of Image that I looked at but I did see this
  • DO NOT reseed, or winter overseed, or sprig turfgrass for 1-1/2 months after treatment

I would consider just using Roundup or a generic glyphosate to nuke the Fescue. Just watch your overspray and spray drift. Even if you do get a little of the Bermuda it will come back within a month or so or fill in from other plants.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about glyphosate and that would probably work in the larger area where the Bermuda really hasn't spread in that well. I was kind of concerned about doing it along essentially the border that does have Bermuda growing around fescue a bit heavier. Maybe a combination of both since I will need to be spot treating in other areas as well. Hopefully I can make it out to the store this weekend then since I probably should go ahead and put down some more Milo soon.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Do you have a picture of the area that you want to fill in? I bet you could just apply 1 lb of Nitrogen a month to the area and make sure it gets plenty of water and it will spread and fill the area by the end of the year and choke out the fescue in the process.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have an image handy yet to upload.

I did come across dfw_pilot's post in the Articles section about the Bermuda triangle. I believe it was Certainity has instructions to also be able to use as fescue control. It might be worth investing into Triangle as I have not been happy with the results of using Scotts weed products. Sure it saves a step, but it doesn't seem to control weeds very long.

The temperatures are finally climbing and staying into the 90s so hopefully the rest of the fescue starts to go dormant this week. I did notice some of the tall fescue clumps starting to get some yellowing in the leafs today. So I think I will hold off on spraying them now since it won't do much, just start loading the Bermuda with Nitrogen over the next 3-4 months and hope it fills in better before it's time to start treating winter weeds anyway.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I don't think Celsius is "labeled" for fescue but it will put a hurting on it for sure. Have you applied a PreM yet this year to get ahead on the winter weeds?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mightyquinn said:
I don't think Celsius is "labeled" for fescue but it will put a hurting on it for sure. Have you applied a PreM yet this year to get ahead on the winter weeds?
I double checked and it was Certainity I looked at earlier that had a labeled use for Tall Fescue, but it seems Celsius did as well.

No I did not to do a pre-emergent this spring because I was not sure exactly how I was going to proceed. I was originally tempted to overseed some Bermuda into those areas until I started doing a bit more research. I learned more about the varieties and that it probably wasn't a good idea to jump into doing that just yet. So hopefully by the Fall I will get a better handle on things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.