Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for some guidance.....this is my first lawn (Just bought the house under a year ago). I'm looking to dominate my block but I need some help. I have a couple weeds that I'm trying to get rid of but they don't seem to be going away. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions of what to use to get rid of them. Also, I'm looking to overseed this fall and was wonder if getting some good kentucky bluegrass from Seed Super Store is worth the $177 for the 25lbs. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you're looking to dominate the block, then a renovation is probably in order :thumbup: . Overseeding KBG is hard to get right, and you may end up with splotches of different color cultivars.

Seed Super Store is very expensive(though very helpful). Check The Hogan Company http://www.thehogancompany.us/home.html

Try triclopyr on those weeds(Weed B Gon Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis).

·
Registered
376 Posts
As j4c11 mentioned, "CCO" aka Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis killer should take those weeds out. Get a cheap tank sprayer if you don't have and apply at the label instructions. Be patient though, it might take 10+ days to show results. Follow up with multiple applications.

More importantly though, I would not try overseeding elite KBG into the lawn you have now. You will create a hodge podge of different colors, growth habits and textures. Consistency in a lawn is probably the most important feature of a nice looking lawn.
Have you tried a bag of milorganite to see what your lawn could look like with some iron and a little more N? If you don't like it then a renovation would be the only way to really dominate. You have about 6 weeks to decide before optimal renovation time. Is a full reno on the table, or no?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
+1 on the reno. That price for seed is worth it if you are doing a reno but an overseed the majority of the seed wont take. I did a reno last year and it was scary at first but a lot more fun as it went on. The steps for a reno and overseed are practically the same and the results are vastly different..

Here is what I did:
DIY Lawn Renovation - Start to Finish!: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXlWmhRBoMXh6R7rFF3VoHLiObVTmaUxT

·
Super Moderator
2,338 Posts
If you want to overseed KBG into your existing lawn, in my experience, using a PGR (plant growth regulator) will up your chances significantly. This is what I did when I overseeded my existing KBG+TTTF backyard. I had left over seeds from previous renovations and didn't want them to go to waste so I overseeded. I was able to leave the lawn alone for 28 days giving the KBG seeds better chance of surviving.

Here a shot of the lawn after 28 days since the last mow. The lawn didn't grow much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.