Lawn Care Forum banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Quick Update on the lawn before we leave for our 9 day vacation.

- With rain in the forecast this afternoon I ran home on lunch and gave the grass a quick cut. I started at my normal height of 1.5" but about 6 strips in decided I better go to my lowest rotary setting which is 1". My PGR will expire next week when we are gone and now that it's raining, I'm not sure I will have time to get my new app down before 4am tomorrow morning. So I anticipate quite the rebound before we get back thus the reason for the scalp/reset. Hopefully the rebound isn't terrible, I have a neighbor willing to cut it for me while we are gone so that's a plus.

- Seeing some slight yellowing of the sedge that I applied Sedgehammer to last weekend. Hoping to see more results when we return

- My plan after returning will be to maintain at 1.5", apply PGR one last time more than likely and then apply Prodiamine WDG65 at 13g/1000. Mid to end of October I will apply Simazine at 1oz/1000.

Hopefully this will keep most of the weeds away and wear off just in time for my spring reno of Tahoma 31.

Also pretty excited I got to use the gorilla cart today for the first time to save from walking to he ditch out back every time I needed to empty my mower.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Upon some advice from @WillyT regarding the PGR app after rain. A local superintendent to him said PGR is ok to apply to damp grass and Willy has applied himself after a rain with no ill results. I went ahead after work with my PGR app of .5oz/1000. This should get me through until the trip is over. I will update with security camera pictures while we are gone to see if I experience bronzing and how the suppression works!

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Whoops... reading on my phone so I missed the rate. I'm not ignoring your post about the swale, I'm just at a loss. Personally, I would just soften the grade a bit so you can get the mower in and out without too much scalping and leave it be for the most part.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Redtwin said:
Whoops... reading on my phone so I missed the rate. I'm not ignoring your post about the swale, I'm just at a loss. Personally, I would just soften the grade a bit so you can get the mower in and out without too much scalping and leave it be for the most part.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure which direction to go but it needs some attention

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Well it hurt my heart a little bit killing off my first lawn renovation but I know in the end it will be worth it when I'm reel mowing that Tahoma 31! :cool:

Applied my first round of Glyphosate this evening with MSO @ 4oz/1000. Almost double the normal rate. My fusillade will arrive later this week. I'll hit it all again with the normal rate of Glyphosate and Fusilade in 2 weeks. Last pictures before the crisp!

Also did see pretty impressive results after about 10 days post Sedgehammer app.

·
Registered
Compadre Zoysia, 2k.
64 Posts
damn,
Now that I have decided to nuke and sprig Tahoma I am caring less and less about turf damage. This yellow nutsedge has been driving me insane so I decided to go ahead and spot spray at .9 grams/1000.

- .90 grams / 1000 Halo 75DWG

I highly suggest not exposing yourself to the chemicals we use on the lawn. I don't have any scientific data and I know the available research didn't prove glypho was the cause of cancer, but my buddy Andrew got non-Hodgins lymphoma. 30 years old guy with, rich family, cool wife, and now with this crazy cancer that kills around 40% of guys in the first 5 years and almost 50% in the next 10y. Crazy shit. And overall he has a very healthy lifestyle and good shape. His doctor tracked his last years and he did get exposed to roundup, yeap. He did a renovation on his father-in-law. He told me he applied it with no protection at all, on flip-flops lol.
Here I got a rain suit, long sleeve gloves and an old pair of boots. Not perfect, but practical to put on and reduce my exposure to those crazy substances. Rain suit bc it's cheap and practical to use. I can put it on top of whatever I'm using. I saw Benjamin from Lawn tip vids using that lol.

·
Registered
Compadre Zoysia, 2k.
64 Posts
Did the Bermuda come back after the application?
And I hope my msg here didn't influence you to kill your lawn lol.
Ok, I also killed my lawn. Sprayed my zoysia like a month ago. Seeded rye last week and mowed it today. Hope this will give me a couple of months to do multiple apps of mesotrione and make sure this zoysia won't come back. Not sure what I will do in the spring though.
Did you send a soil test? I have samples sitting here for a month. I opened the Waypoint page and I was lost. I did figure it out but didn't send it yet.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Did the Bermuda come back after the application?
And I hope my msg here didn't influence you to kill your lawn lol.
Ok, I also killed my lawn. Sprayed my zoysia like a month ago. Seeded rye last week and mowed it today. Hope this will give me a couple of months to do multiple apps of mesotrione and make sure this zoysia won't come back. Not sure what I will do in the spring though.
Did you send a soil test? I have samples sitting here for a month. I opened the Waypoint page and I was lost. I did figure it out but didn't send it yet.
I have some little spots of common coming back up but I still plan on another application of Fusilade and Glyphosate in a week or 2 and then another round of Glyphosate right before sprigging. Soil Test is being sent out tomorrow in preparation for sprigging amendments. You didn’t influence my decision, this has been my goal since last year. Thanks for following along!

101 - 114 of 114 Posts