Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Some close ups of the grass today. The bottoms are so brown. I know it's normal for Bermuda but some areas are completely brown. Maybe from my last application before the scalp and it's taking it some time to recover. Rain isn't cooperating lately, I will be putting down the 13-13-13 tomorrow at 1 lb N/M.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Got a mow in yesterday before the rain. Went and picked up a new 50lb LESCO Spreader today and got the fert down.

Here's the new unit

Put down the normal 13-13-13 at a rate of 1 LB/M. Hoping I can kick this recovery back into high gear, get some green up and then start with PGR and make this common get dense! Here's some pictures after I put the fert down for future reference.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Got the first app of PGR down this morning. Went with .5oz/1000. Shoutout to @WillyT for the split! Also went ahead and put out the Advion Fire Ant Bait since there is no rain forecasted today. Hoping to see really good results this app or next with the PGR. The end of this season will dictate if I keep the common or nuke it next spring and sprig a hybrid!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Also think I see the main reason for these 3 areas being thin. I suspected lack of sun before. @WillyT has told me that PGR has been known to help with shaded areas trying to grow Bermuda. I guess we will see how the PGR helps. If the overall lawn isn't doing better by the end of the growing season it will be sprigging hybrid next year!

·
Registered
Compadre Zoysia, 2k.
64 Posts
I just read the whole journal. You did a great job describing and documenting everything.
I also seeded a lawn this spring. I'm in Fort Lauderdale and seeded only 2k sqft with zoysia compadre in mid-March. I installed irrigation, but my sprinkler heads were cheap. I may have to switch to something like what you have there. I already bought the sprinklers, but that will take a lot of work and will leave bare spots all over.
I believe my main issues are related to drought (at least for me), bad cultivar, and terrible soil. That might also be your case.
First soil. My soil is mostly sand/silty. It's very alkaline and does not hold moisture at all. And I can clearly see that my grass struggles pretty bad with drought where I ran the sprinkler's pipes. That was because I turned over that soil while installing irrigation. So the thin layer of topsoil was berried down and now there's little to no topsoil there to help hold some water. Even if it rains in the morning, the grass will be grey later in the evening. It not only lacks organic matter, but it contains "limestone sand", I think. So the pH is crazy high.
I did a DIY pH test last December and I got 8.45. In the last 8 months, I dropped 20 lbs/1000sqft of elemental sulfur, AS as my nitrogem source, and 5 lb/M of citric acid. That helped a lot! The last time I tested pH, I got 7.6.
Another reason I think the soil is the main cause of my issues is that I have a few samples of grass doing great on tiny vases. Those vases were filled with Scott's lawn topsoil. This soil is rich in organic matter so it holds moisture forever and probably has much higher cec.
Now, the reason I thing my cultivar is part of the issue, is because I have other 2 samples of zoysia doing great on pots. Yes, grass on vases lol. One I believe to be Empire and the other may be Zoysia matrella. I got those 2 samples in Mid-February. And seeded one vase with compadre zoysia on February first.
I was not able to see roots on the bottom of Compadre's (seeded zoysia) vase. In contrast, Empire and the fine-bladed zoysia both had roots coming out of the holes of their vases. Color and density are both much superior on the vases with the hybrid zoysias.
Not a scientific experiment, but kind of confirm what I read about this.
Right now, I'm considering killing this and plug Tahoma 31 (available on Amazon) or sprig some fine-bladed zoysia. The problem is the cost of water and how long this would take. I'm on city water, not cheap. And it's a lot of work too.
Tahoma would probably be faster to fill in if it grows under the half shade. And shade was the reason why I did not seed Bermuda in the first place. Zoysia would take forever to spread. The sample of fine-bladed zoysia I have here looks amazing though, reason I want that. It's very shade tolerant too.
I wish I had full sun, that would make life easier.
Any updates on your grass?

·
Registered
Compadre Zoysia, 2k.
64 Posts
Check your lawn at night. Walk around or turn sprinklers on. If you see tiny moths flying around, you may have turf caterpillars. I had both armyworm and tropical sod webworm (TSWW). Tsww can be very hard to see and cause severe damage.
I also had damage from mole crickets. I finally ordered insecticide for that. Hopefully, I will get rid of this annoying pest. It doesn't damage a large area but makes holes and tunneling that can damage the grass and be an eye sore.
For tsww, I've been using Acelepryn since May or I wouldn't have grass anymore. Excellent insecticide. It gives you peace of mind for most pests.
Close-up pics may help people to visualize what's going on there.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Not to be creepy. But I saw your 5 gallon bottles in the garage. Thanks for being a Culligan Water customer. My family owns, and I work in, the franchise that covers the Columbia, SC area. I guess I'm a hawk when I see 5 gallon water bottles.

Good luck with those mole crickets. It was an ongoing battle when I lived down near Charleston, SC.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
JRS 9572 said:
Not to be creepy. But I saw your 5 gallon bottles in the garage. Thanks for being a Culligan Water customer. My family owns, and I work in, the franchise that covers the Columbia, SC area. I guess I'm a hawk when I see 5 gallon water bottles.

Good luck with those mole crickets. It was an ongoing battle when I lived down near Charleston, SC.
Not creepy at all. I grew up on well water in Ohio but the girlfriend had to have Culligan. My neighbor is a delivery driver for our local office so getting the cooler was super easy!

On the mole crickets, I ordered some Bifen XTS and plan to get it down this weekend. This lawn has been a struggle starting from seed but I haven't given up yet.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
The weed/grassy weed pressure has been terrible this year and it's discouraging. I am hoping with my 2nd app of PGR and my weekly dose of .5 LB N/M I can make the turf spread laterally and choke some of this out. All of this hassle with seeding and week spreading is pushing me closer to sprigging Tahoma next year....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
So after much debate and back and fourth I have finally decided that I am going to kill off the lawn next year and sprig Tahoma 31. I can make a 5 hour drive and get 2-3 pallets and make my own sprigs for a reasonable price. The order of events will go something like this....

First signs of green-up
- Apply round 1 of Gly

2 weeks post-green
- Apply round 2 of Gly

3 weeks post-green
- Apply round 3 of Gly

1 month post-green
- Power Rake/Rake all dead debris from lawn
- Bury downspouts to pop-up emitters
- Sand level
- Apply 4th round of Gly

6 weeks post-green
- Lay down sprigs and roll in

Any suggestions or comments on the order of events will be appreciated! Looking forward to this new journey. Also in the market for a decent used GM1000 in the Florida Panhandle if anyone comes across one within 6-8 hour drive.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Had a downpour around Noon today. Let the lawn dry out enough and got a cut in @ 1.5". The lawn has literally exploded with weeds. The PGR is doing wonders for the turf as far as getting dense and slowing vertical growth. But the weeds are growing untamed so I'm still mowing the weeds every 3-4 days. I have given up on any post em since I plan to nuke for the renovation next year.

Went ahead and got another fert app in today. This will be the last one of the season and the last for the common Bermuda.

9/1/22
- Applied 13-13-13 @ 1 LB NPK/M

Picked up the 7 cu. ft. Gorilla cart today while grabbing the fertilizer. Now that I have decided to move forward with the nuke and Tahoma sprigging next spring, I know I'll get my moneys worth out of it!

Here is a picture from 8/20 before my Bifen XTS and 2nd PGR app

7 days later on 8/27

Some pictures after the cut today

81 - 100 of 114 Posts