Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Finally got around to my last blanket app for the year today. Hopefully it doesn't ding the lawn too much but the Bahia and Torpedo Grass were getting out of control. Used up the last of my Quinclorac and 2-4D. Will be switching to Certainty/Celsius next year and spot treat any other problems on an as needed basis after my sprigging project. I tried to make the application later in the evening as the sun was going down to hopefully mitigate some of the yellowing especially with the MSO. This is my first time using MSO so I am anxious to see if it works any better/worse than the non-ionic surfactant. This will also probably be my last time using the marking dye for blanket apps. It is annoying not only for clean-up but also very hard to get around anything good without possibly painting it blue. I was using it up until now to get my pattern down. I am pretty confident now in my coverage and walking speed to go without it moving forward. I think I will use it only when spot treating problem weeds in the future.

Today's Application
7/6/2022

Quinclorac Liquid Select
.5oz/1000
Wanted to apply at 1.5oz/1000 high rate but didn't realize I only had 4 oz. left!

Triad Select (2-4D)
1.5oz/1000

MSO
.5oz/1000

Blue Marking Dye
Pour it in/1000

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
No lawn photos for today but I'm sure we have a few gearheads in the forums so I'll update on the progress of my truck!

218,000 miles
2006 F350 6.0 Diesel 4x4

Finally getting some stuff it's needed for quite awhile
- Head gaskets
- Push Rods
- Glow Plugs
- ARP Studs
- Oil Cooler
- All new gaskets throughout engine
- Injectors
- Frame cleaned and painted with Chassis Saver
- Water Pump
- Degas Bottle
- Batteries
- Fuel Filters
- Full Service

Plenty of other things that I won't list. This will be taking up my time most of the weekend after I get my scalp done Saturday morning!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got my first taste of REEL mowing in today. Thanks to @Redtwin who brought his GM1000 and offered to help with my first scalp. I am planning to maintain at 3/4" after I try the washer modification on my Honda HRN. Looking to purchase a GM1000 if anyone knows of any locally. Just as every one said, as soon as I ran the reel....now I want one even sooner than I planned.

@Redtwin started out running the perimeter with the GM1000. It was going well but we knew we would need to double cut as we were going from 1" to .5". After the first pass there were quite a few blades of torpedo grass and Bahia that hadn't been cut. I pulled out my rotary lowered it to 1" and went to cutting the front again before he made the final double cut. After I was done I went ahead and cut the whole lawn with the rotary to make the reel scalp easier. This worked much better than trying to take it all off with the reel.

Finally got my turn to run the reel. There is definitely a learning curve but wow I'm hooked already!

We moved on to the back and we were both surprised at the stripes I was already getting!

@Redtwin is telling me to maintain this at .75" with my rotary until I can find. a GM1000 and doesn't think it will necessary to renovate with a hybrid as he thinks this is some kind of improved Bermuda seed as the blades are very fine and thick. The plan from here will be as follows.

Apply 12-12-12 at .5 LB N/M
Water .5" everyday for the following week
Maintain at .75" with rotary
Apply PGR (not sure which rate yet)
Spoon feed 46-0-0 at .4-.5 LB N/M every 2 weeks

Continue the search for a reel! Big shoutout to @Redtwin again for bringing the mower and helping me. It was already over 90 this morning and this was more work than I thought. Here is the final result!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Applied 13-13-13 and Amdro Fire Ant bait

Made a mistake didn't read the Amdro bag. Do not water in. Oops.

Put the fert down at a rate of .63lb NPK/M (40 lb bag, 8000 sq. Ft.)

Put the Amdro down at high rate 1lb/1000

This is my last attempt with these fire ants. After my last app of Sevin (Bifen) it seems a lot of the ants have moved their mounds to the ditch at the back of my property which is fine with me. Still some popping up around the lawn. Hopefully this will make them pack up also! Will be watering everyday this week at .5" to help with green up after the scalp.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
No actual photos with the same angles as I am out of town until tomorrow for work but figured I'd share a few Ring camera pictures! Starting to see some slight green-up. We have had some great rain the last few days.

1.49" on July 12
0.75" on July 13
Still light rain today July 14

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
For those of you that saw the digital rain gauge. My OCD self had to buy a manual gauge and hang it next to the digital one to verify its accuracy. The digital one has calibration adjustment. I'd say after this week and these readings it's pretty spot on. Don't look at the monthly total as it was already at 1.5" the day I installed it from moving it around and I didn't look into how to reset it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
9 Days Post Scalp Pictures. Unfortunately I wasn't able to keep my rotary at .75" HOC due to hitting dirt on the bumpy areas. I raised back up to 1" and think I will end back up at 1.5" until I do my sand level next year. Some areas are just so bumpy that it's really scalping to dirt. It looked good at 1.5" before, unfortunately I think this means the scalp to .5" was basically a waste....anyways heres the pictures from tonight. Seeing pretty good green-up, my rain gauge shows almost 5" over the last 7 days which is pretty good. It was in need of a good natural rain. Next order of business will probably be to hit it with another .5 LB N/M when I get back from a work trip on 8/5 and then I will be starting PGR. Excited to see the results of the PGR. Not sure how long I should wait for it to green up before I start the PGR. Think I am going to wait until it gets green again at maintenance level (1.5") and then start at .5oz /1000 with TNEX. I will apply my normal 13-13-13 from Lowe's on 8/5 or around there at .5 LB N/M.

These ridges I think are just from water running down to the swale with no grass. They could also be mole cricket trails but they really only exist near my downspouts and it in the front where the ditch/swale is.

Somehow....the 2-4D, Quinclorac and MSO at 85+ temps didn't touch the Bahia once again but managed to smoke some sedge I had in the back...also seems it smoked the torpedo grass in most places. It's looking like I'm going to have to go nuclear on this Bahia area in front and push the Bermuda to fill back in afterwards.

Anybody ID this weed/grass?

For those gearheads that saw the truck pictures. The truck is all wrapped up for this project. I went ahead and cleaned up the frame and coated in with Chassis Saver frame coating. Dries very glossy and thick like a ceramic paint. Next year I will be replacing the bed, cab corners, rockers, body work and giving her a fresh coat of paint and clear. Ohio trucks have a rough life, I'd like to keep this one! Cheaper than a new one!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Well after being out of town for 2 weeks for a work trip I am finally back. The lawn is looking the worst it has all year. My girlfriend mowed twice while I was gone to keep it from getting out of hand. The turf just hasn't rebounded from the scalp and probably due to lack of fertilizer.

Also the Bahia grass and torpedo is still coming back all over the place. I think I'm done trying to kill them off. I am going to apply some 13-13-13 fert this week at 1lb N/M and just push the turf and worry about the weeds when I can start a good pre-em program this fall.

I have some TNEX coming next week and plan to start at the .5oz/1000 rate and see how it works. I think I will wait for the turf to green back up and fill in before I apply. Or should I apply soon to encourage more spreading and less vertical growth??

Having some issues with some creature I think. Getting these ant hill looking mounds of sand all over but no ants. Possibly a mole problem. Will investigate this weekend. All in all the lawn is in sad shape and my morale is also. I'm leaning more and more towards a nuke and Tahoma sprigging with all of this.

Anyways, I will post some pictures this weekend when I get a chance to take some. Until then here are some pictures of some nice turf in Atlanta. It's hard to resist snapping some pictures of a nice turf!

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
You could be dealing with mole crickets with the mounds. Also, double check your irrigation to make sure you are getting decent coverage. We have had regular rain but I'm still having to augment my bermuda with irrigation. My Tifway 419 is coming back from the scalp a little slower than normal but I immediately put down some 13-13-13 right afterwards so it is progressing. I would wait until you have some decent green before starting the PGR and you might want to start at .25oz/1000sf to minimize any additional stress. Post some photos. The ugly ones are just as helpful for future reference as the pretty ones.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts