Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start here I guess and get my journal going before I get too far along. We purchased our first home in Panama City, FL after living in Ohio for 29+ years. When we moved in the yard had been severely neglected due to the home being a rental the 6 years prior. The irrigation main valve was shut off and the timer/controller did not work.

The yard was not in terrible shape but I knew I wanted better. I had never cared about a lawn before but now I guess with old age comes caring about the lawn :D . The first major issue with the house was the absence of gutters. The sand all the way around the foundation was trenched about 6" deep from the rain water and irrigation lines were showing all over the place. Next we had 25yds of "top soil" hauled in and I spread it with a lawn tractor to establish good grade away from the house and smooth out the major bumps. The top soil we were used to from Ohio is brown/black. Our course this "top soil" was mostly sand!

Next we decided to remove the front landscaping, lay down a weed barrier and throw some mulch. Somewhere along the way we also ripped out the 2 sago palms next to the driveway and the magnolia tree from the front lawn.

Needless to stay my attempt at french drains for the downspouts did not work. I filled the buckets with gravel and also had a gravel footing about 12" deep. There was just too much water. Next I had a back patio poured and the guys were kind enough to make me some splash pads as another attempt to stop the wash out. This didn't work either and now I will be burying them on each side to the drainage ditch and using pop-up emitters.

Ok now for the fun part! On to my lawn starting. First I used Glyphosate and did a blanket app of the whole lawn. After 10 days I tilled everything and raked the sand/dirt clean of 80% of the debris

After finding all of the sprinkler lines that were so poorly assembled and fixing them I went on to reraking and then seeding. I seeded with Scott's Common Bermuda due to being still a newbie at the time. After this I threw down Scotts Turf Builder Starter Fert, RGS and GreenPOP and WATER WATER WATERED

After I spread the seed I gave it a light rake and then purchased 36 bags of Peat Moss and spread it out evenly 1/8-1/4" across almost the whole lawn

2 days after I finished spreading the Peat Moss I woke up to a torrential downpour that had washed 80% of the peat moss to the edges of the lawn. I was devastated. I went out, raked it all back even and hoped most of the seed had stayed put.

10 short days later we had our first, what I call them now, "Little Buddies" starting to pop up all over

I continued to water 4 times a day at 1/4" of water per day for a month. 27 days later this was the result

At this point a put down Flaghsip at a rate of 1.38 ln/k N. 7 days later this was the result.

Sorry if my timeline is jumbled somethings just tend to run together when you don't start these journals from the start! I will be sure to document each step as I moved foward.

As of 2 weeks ago this is what the back lawn was looking like. I had some pesky dollarweeds in the front. I used the Bayer Advanced southern lawn concentrate. Blanket sprayed from my backpack sprayer. Within a week the dollarweeds were gone but a lot of other weeds still existed.

On 5/8/22 I applied Quinclorac and Triad Select as a blanket app with surfactant and tracer dye to try and get the grassy weeds and crabgrass under control. 7 days later, I hit the lawn with the lowest setting I could on my rotary, 1", tried to scalp the best I could. Applied my Flagship at a rate of 1lb N/k, RGS and GreeneStart and watered in. This is the current state of the lawn as of 5/18/22. I am seeing significant loss of color and browning. I assuming this is a combination of the scalp and also the weeds dying off. I was also not aware of the adverse effects of surfactant when weather is hot when I made this application. I am now watering 2 times per day 8:30am and 3pm for 1/2" per day, every day. I noticed when I cut the watering back to every other day the grass was getting very dry and stiff. Also when I checked 3-4" down the soil was very dry, I'm assuming this is due to the sun and hot weather we are already having.

Also, here is a picture of the flagpole that now resides where that ugly Magnolia used to be. I forgot to mention my neighbors lawn and that domination line that is clear already with not much effort on my part! :lol:

Any help or suggestions from anyone going forward is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a week or so I will be trying to tackle this Bahia in the front lawn. I have pretty decent patches of Bahia invading all over. I plan to use Celsius to try and kill it off before it gets too out of control. I also plan to forego the Triad and Quinclorac for the most part and lean on a pretty steady plan of Prodiamine in the fall and spring followed by Celsius and Certainty for post-em spot treatments next year in accordance with the Bermuda Triangle!

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
WillyT said:
Redtwin said:
Welcome to TLF and Panama City! Let me know if you need any local help.
Let him test drive a reel mower so he can drink the cool aid!
I have several to chose from if you want to try it (Flex21, GM1000, and a 3100). I also have access to a TruCut, Jacobson 526 and a JD 220e if you want to pick a favorite before jumping down the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Redtwin said:
Welcome to TLF and Panama City! Let me know if you need any local help.
I may do that after my leveling next year! No where near ready for that low HOC yet!

Any help on why it's turning so brown is appreciated. I think it is probably for the reasons I stated and just need more patience!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Redtwin said:
I bet it's the surfactant. I dinged my Bermuda last year in May from using surfactant. I won't ever use it again except in the cooler months.

https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=398377#p398377
After all of the hours of reading and research I am surprised I never heard about this until after the fact. I didn't know it was a bad idea to use it in hot weather! Should bounce back I would assume. Bermuda seems pretty resilent to just about everything :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Redtwin said:
I bet it's the surfactant. I dinged my Bermuda last year in May from using surfactant. I won't ever use it again except in the cooler months.

Will MSO have the same effect in the warm weather?

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Humbert810 said:
Redtwin said:

Yes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Redtwin said:
Humbert810 said:
Redtwin said:

Yes.
I may need to get your phone number for some tips and questions. Your yard is beautiful. We are in Southport

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got home from work and went to work. Going to go with 1.5" HOC until I can sand level next year and get a greens mower. 1" is too low for now it leaves so many scalp marks. It's coming along. Next will be Celsius to try and kill Bahia and any other stray weeds left. Here are some pictures before and after the mow!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
5/30/22

Took the rest of my leftover starter fertilizer and partial bag of Flagship 26-0-4 and calculated out to 1lb N per 1000. Threw er down. Threw down a other blanket of granular insecticide. Watering in now. Going to cut at 1.5" this week and then blanket app Celsius at high rate to knock out the remaining weeds and Bahia grass. Will wait 30 days from now and apply N at .5 lb per 1000 every 2 weeks throughout the summer to continue to push the turf growth. Will also apply RGS and GreenePunch in 30 days with my flagship at .5 lb per 1000.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts