Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everybody,

I haven't been on much as I've been travelling for work, so I hope everyone is doing well.

Roughly about a month ago or so, I posted a picture that wasn't the best representation of my problem, but showed what I thought was some type of variety of crabgrass. I was told it could be common Bermuda and to follow the proper cultural practices one should undergo and it should be crowded out. Since then, I have lowered my HOC to 1.75 inches with a rotary mower, gotten my fertilizing and watering habits on point with the guidance of this forum. Additionally, I am mowing every 2 days. Soon, I will be lowering it to 1.5 inches, as I did once on accident and the grass actually looked fantastic at that height, and showed now signs of scalping. I noticed that the grass/weed in question grows faster than the surrounding Bermuda, and is quite annoying to see. It isn't everywhere in the lawn, just in 2 or 3 spots where I have spot leveled, and my neighbors and wife says it looks fine, however, in my opinion it sticks out like a sore thumb.

My question is if there is any way to rid my grass of this type of Bermuda? Besides following the cultural practices one should undergo with a hybrid variety? I feel that following the proper practices isn't doing much as it is a variety of Bermuda and responds the same way, kind of "cancelling the overall goal out" so to say. At this point I'm at a loss on what to do moving forward.

Open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only thing I can think of is to either transplant other runners into that area to hopefully strangle out the common, or to reseed it with a different grass. The ladder is very doubtful to succeed.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
I too have mixed areas of Bermuda grass, some is a little darker and some grows a little faster. I believe it's a mix of U3 and some Saharia seed I applied when I fist moved in (I didn't know any better).

If it bothers you enough to take action, then I would recommend hand pulling small sections each day or week if possible. Take your time and pull up as much of the unwanted Bermuda that you can find.

It'll never be completely removed, but maybe you can thin out the unwanted Bermuda enough that you don't notice it as much.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Redtenchu said:
I too have mixed areas of Bermuda grass, some is a little darker and some grows a little faster. I believe it's a mix of U3 and some Saharia seed I applied when I fist moved in (I didn't know any better).

If it bothers you enough to take action, then I would recommend hand pulling small sections each day or week if possible. Take your time and pull up as much of the unwanted Bermuda that you can find.

It'll never be completely removed, but maybe you can thin out the unwanted Bermuda enough that you don't notice it as much.
Yeah, if it's not going to completely rid of it, I'll just go ahead and keep implementing what I have been doing moving forward. Pulling up the crabgrass in my backyard daily takes enough of my time already. Luckily, with Ware's suggestion I put down some Pre-E as my initial application was low, and I have seen improvement.

Thanks for the input Red!

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
No problem, you're in a tough spot. I would also focus on the crabgrass in this scenario.

If you've learned your lesson on Pre-E this season, you will be pleasantly surprised next season when you put down a good application and only have common Bermuda to worry about!

:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.