Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start following a lawn care plan but I feel I'm not experienced enough to create one myself. I know some new guys on here would be greatly appreciative of this. Maybe to show what your is if you have it typed up or what not

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here's a good (very) rough draft for those first starting out

April rake lawn, apply pre emergent
May fertilize
June mow at at least 3" if you weren't already
July and August supplement with water if you wish to keep grass out of dormancy
September fertilize
October fertilize

There is a lot more you can that really requires some time to learn

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Feels like such a wild animal to me. With all the different geographical locations and climates. Seems slightly difficult for a one size fits all. It seems that local universities might have localized info that might work for each climate. I really have no idea on that though.

I tend me me more of rule breaker fly by night kind of guy. I put down anything at any time other than in dormancy. My lawn seems to be just fine and I do not follow any rules regarding poundage. I learn by doing. If that did not work I tend not to try that again. I do not go wild and crazy by any means. I never put too much down that the lawn burns.

I do however follow the rules when it comes to plant growth regulator (PGR), pre emergent, and iron (in future). I am the boss of everything else in my lawn.

·
Registered
376 Posts
For cool season grasses:

Mid-March to Early-April when Forsythia bloom = Apply Pre-Emergent
Mid-April to late June = Fertilize as needed, Milorganite or other slow-release fert like a 10-10-10 is a good option
Around Labor Day (or earlier) = Apply Pre-Emergent again. Fertilize.
Labor Day to end of October = Fertilize (bi-weekly or whatever frequency you want)
Sometime around Thanksgiving when top growth stops = Winterizer fertilizer with Urea or other full fast release Nitrogen (1 lb. N/K) fertilizer

That's pretty much the basics. The other variables are weed control products, fungicides, grub/insect control which you need to customize based on your lawn. If you need to reseed damaged areas, skip the fall Pre-Em and seed instead in Mid-August.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks for every idea and the link hopefully I can get everything going only I'm really having trouble with is the PRG. which was sod which is stupid lol at least the people that put it down are stupid haha. Thanks for the awesome tips

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I like the milorganite schedule of doing it before each major holiday. It ends up being around 4x per year. Then pre-emergence when the forsythia blooms.

Above and beyond that you'd have to look at your lawn type, your soil type, climate, etc. But the above is a great start and easy to remember.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.