Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
at least once each week. I've been mowing about three times a week, there are times I will run the weedeater along the edges to keep them crisp until I pull the edger out. I will put my first application of PGR down this weekend, so we will see how often I need to edge after that sets in

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
It's been awhile since I edged regularly but from what I remember I usually do it every 2 weeks or so. I have had good success from spraying leftover PGR on the edges to give it a double dose per se and it seems to do the trick! If we get a lot of rain, I may do it a little more often.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not sure which is better. I've always edged, then mowed that way the mower picks up the clippings. By brother in law does it the other way around as he says it's easier to edge when he knows the desired height of the lawn. I have no idea

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CenlaLowell said:
Once a week for me. I edge with a string trimmer. Question are people are really cutting grass two times a week if so why? I'm in Louisiana and my st Augustine is just starting to grow fast.
If I wasn't using PGR on my 1/2" Bermuda, I would probably be mowing every other day. With PGR, I can get by with 2-3 cuts per week.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
CenlaLowell said:
Question: are people really cutting grass two times a week and if so why? I'm in Louisiana and my st Augustine is just starting to grow fast.
The answer is: It depends.

Mowing grass should follow the 1/3 rule (or even the 1/4 rule) which states that you should aim to not cut more than 1/3 of the blade off when mowing. Therefore, the lower your height of cut (HOC) the more often you need to mow.

If a creeping grass like Bermuda is cut at 1/2 inch, and it grows a 1/4 inch per day in the heat of summer, you'll have to cut every day. For a taller kept grass like St. Augustine, where the HOC might be 4 inches, even if it grows 1/4 inch a day, it would only need to be cut every five days or so. The lower the HOC, the increase in mowing frequency.

This is why plant growth regulators (PGR) are so popular: because they slow the growth of the grass blades, saving time, fuel, and even marriages.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.