Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously thinking about a full Renovation on my front lawn. This is my first year going low with my Bermuda. It seems that I have different cultivars because my lawn is three toned that is very obvious with a low cut lawn, but not as obvious when cut at 2 inches. So how long between spraying glyco and laying sod?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
What are your other plans to do to the lawn to prep it before the sod?

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mightyquinn said:
What are your other plans to do to the lawn to prep it before the sod?
My plans would be to mirror some of what I've seen here
- Kill it
- Remove dead grass and stolons
- Kill it again
- Remove dead grass and stolons
- Level as much as possible
- Then sod

I am not sure if there is much more to it. But if there is, please advise... I am open to suggestions and ideas from those that have traveled this path before.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
The most effective way to kill Bermuda isn't the prettiest. Articles I've read say to kill it in July wait for regrowth Aug-sept kill again. Then spray again if you see any green before dormancy. The next spring kill anything that greens up and you should have a really successful kill.

I sprayed after green up this year then again after I had some regrowth. I just put seed down and I have spots where the Bermuda is coming back. I'm guessing I didn't wait long enough for the second spray but I was on a deadline to get the seed in the ground.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had a similar problem. My backyard was two or three kinds of Bermuda and st. Augustine. I have been working on killing the Bermuda for almost a year. About 3 blanket apps of glyphosate and many many spot sprays. There seems to be a certain mutant strain that is very tolerant of glyphosate, I'll post some pics...

The common Bermuda keeps coming back, so it's not about how long you have to wait until you can sod, I think 7 days is more than enough for blanket sprays, it's the threat of having to deal with these mutant strains that could potentially appear months later or the next year. It's a tough situation for sure.

FWIW, sedgehammer has a 4 week replant time if you need to get rid of sedges so keep that in mind if you have any nutsedge.

Some of these are blue from marker dye, this strain grows very close together and was totally untouched after two blanket sprays of glyphosate. Took special attention to knock it back. Thought about saving some to plant elsewhere to observe, but nah. My neighbor has some too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.