Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to spray 1500 sq ft side yard to kill the centipede/fescue mixture i have so that I can lay bermuda. Adjacent to my side yard is my neighbors yard and I'm wondering if my killing spree will reach into into his yard. If I only spray my grass, will some of his die in the process? I know he wont mind if a little bit of death occurs being that his yard is all bermuda and some of mine is creeping into his, but I dont want it to kill 5-10 feet into his lawn.

After I have killed my lawn, I plan to scalp off all the dead grass, Do I till up after?

· Registered
1,388 Posts
In my experience, only the plants that get sprayed with glyphosate get killed. As such, determination of what gets sprayed is entirely up to the accuracy of the spraying technique. If the spray is done accurately, you can get a nice sharp line of living vs. dead grass of no more than 1-2 inches in variation.

If you are sloppy in your technique, then the variation in the "kill line" is as bad as the application technique.

For best results, use a fan-tip sprayer, spray close to the ground, and don't spray on a windy day.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
erdons said:
Try to spray when it's not too windy, use a piece of cardboard or plywood to create a barrier as you spray. Don't till.
+1 to this. Use a physical barrier to prevent spray for reaching the neighbors yard.

· Registered
971 Posts
If you can find an old election sign or one of those bandit "we buy houses" sign, it's perfect. I have an old contractor's sign about 2' square. All the same. It's a piece of plastic cardboard with a metal wire stanchion to be pushed in the ground. Turn it upside down and use the metal stanchion as the handle so you don't have to hunch or bend to hold it. Gly is just like spraypaint. Use the upside down sign as the paint shield. Just go along a straight line sliding your shield along the line as you spray. Ends up perfect.

· Registered
216 Posts
I killed a rectangular area in my back yard to grow some zoysia from seed. The line was quite sharp. At most killed things just a few inches outside where I wanted. As someone said, no wind helps tremendously. I was spraying one day and could see a little mist escape elsewhere. Probably wouldn't kill anything healthy but might yellow an area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.