Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to split a bottle of herbicide with my new neighbor. I'm excited because the lawn has been a weed factory forever.

The weeds that I see in my lawn are: crabgrass, spurge?, and purslane.

My neighbor has all the things, but he has a particularly good crop of nutsedge.

I know that celsius is a good performer, but I believe it won't kill sedge? Is there anything else that could handle all of these? Or would it be better to grab celsius + something else for the sedge?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
MarkV said:
Can you apply Celsius & Certainty in one application?
Yes

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Success said:
I have sedgehammer. How much better is certainty at killing sedges in st sug?
I use Sedgehammer with no issues. I may switch to Certainty if I ever get to the bottom of my 1.3oz bottle, but I plan to keep using it until then because it has always worked great for me. If you have the bottle, don't forget to add surfactant to your mix. If you are using Sedgehammer+ in the packets, it already contains a surfactant. :thumbup:

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's always good to have multiple products. My recommendations are MSMA(Dallisgrass, crabgrass, other grassy weeds), Dismiss (Sedges and Goosegrass), Quinclorac (ultimate crabgrass killer), Trimec classic (broadleaf), glyphosate (when others don't work) and a sharpshooter shovel.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Yossarian said:
Redtenchu said:
Yoss, how many SqFt are you treating for sedge?
Probably only a few hundred square feet for the sedge. I have some Image Kills Nutsedge (imazaquin) and haven't been very happy with it.
I think the biggest consideration with any herbicide for sedge is time - remember it's not just the top kill you're going for, but also killing the tubers underground. Also don't be afraid to make multiple apps a week or two apart.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have to say that when I did a blanket app of Celsius on my lawn and my neighbor's lawn, I eradicated at least 70% of the weeds that were growing in both of our lawns. I was VERY satisfied with the results. We both have a pretty heavy sedge problem, and I've got a lot of goosegrass as well. I'd suggest getting the Celsius, and seeing what else survives, then treat accordingly. It's already been said before that the sedge is going to be a war, not a battle. I'm looking forward to waging war as soon as my bottle of Dismiss comes in.

I opted to go with Sulfentrazone because most of the sedges that we have in our yard are past the 3-8 leaf stage. If your sedge is at that stage, I'd recommend halosulfuron (Sedgehammer). If it's more mature than that, the sulfentrazone would be the choice, and that's exactly what I did. Can't wait to get my spray on!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.