Lawn Care Forum banner

Herbicide for sedges help

8K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Anonymous 
G
#1 ·
So I've realized I have quite a lot of nutsedge and kylinga in my yard and would like to take care of that. From reading it looks like sedgehammer, dismiss or certainty is the way to go. I was just looking for input if one is preferred over the other. Thanks

#2 ·
Depending on the size of the yard you have, and desired kill time, one can prove faster than the other. Some kill really fast, where some of the three take a little longer. I had a really fast kill with Dismiss (sulfentrazone) on the green kyllinga that was in my yard. There's a less expensive generic version of this product online.

I'm actually going to go buy some Certainty right now from my local Site One. Since I have a larger area, I'd like to compare the two products side by side. Sedgehammer (my opinion only) is great because it comes in a small package, and would be cost-effective treatment since you mix it up in a hand can, and can spot treat. I'd presume the other options are better since you can broadcast spray, while using this product would not be cost-efficient.

#5 ·
dfw_pilot said:
If you have a lot of sedge, you'll probably need multiple apps to kill it, over more than one season. For that reason, you'll want to do the math on price per app very carefully.
I've had great luck with certainty and it's cost effective if you have lots. This is my second year applying, 2 applications 1 month apart. I basically had a sedge lawn last year. It also works great in this heat.

#7 ·
Dismiss has the fastest kill time. It also has good soil activity which is important when fighting Sedges due to the extensive rhizome and tubers they produce. While I haven't had a chance to use Certainty I have used Sedgehammer and Dismiss multiple times. Dismiss is far superior to Sedgehammer.

#9 ·
high leverage said:
Dismiss has the fastest kill time. It also has good soil activity which is important when fighting Sedges due to the extensive rhizome and tubers they produce. While I haven't had a chance to use Certainty I have used Sedgehammer and Dismiss multiple times. Dismiss is far superior to Sedgehammer.
True for yellow nutsedge. But, I've read that it isn't great for killing PURPLE nutsedge. I tried dismiss before certainty and it browned all of the sedge within 2 days, it looked like goner. A month later, it all came back and later read that it wasn't great for purple nutsedge which is what I have. While certainty doesn't show an instant kill, it definitely stops it from growing almost instantly. Once I mowed, you could hardly tell it was there after 2 days. I say try whatever, and if it works for you then great and if it doesn't, I'm sure something else will.

#15 ·
firefighter11 said:
Picked up some sedgehammer and gave it a shot today all though it may be late in the season. Went with the 1 scoop 0.9g per 2 gallons instead of 1 gallon of water for spot spraying
Did you add a nonionic surfactant? It's a slow kill, but I've always had good luck with the Sedgehammer. I sprayed some about a week ago.

G
#19 ·
Well we're 5 days in and can't see any changes in any of the nutsedge or kylinga.
I realize it says it takes awhile but I thought maybe I would see something beginning by now.
In other news I've already got wild onion coming up 🙄

G
#22 ·
Slowly but surely the sedges are wilting and yellowing.
I gave the rest of the broad leafs a dose of Celsius today, weather was so nice I got excited and forgot the sticker stuff 🤦‍♂

#23 ·
firefighter11 said:
Slowly but surely the sedges are wilting and yellowing.
I gave the rest of the broad leafs a dose of Celsius today, weather was so nice I got excited and forgot the sticker stuff 🤦‍♂️
I know that with certainty that it is a slow kill, but usually I don't notice the sedge after I mow it since it completely stops growing but it doesn't turn yellow, it stops growing and it seems to disappear.

Question, after applying sledgehammer, does the plant keep growing?

I've tried dismiss before, and even tho it turns it yellow within 2 days, it seemed like it kept growing and left an eye sore with yellow plants all over the yard until it finally died off.
I hate sedges and as long as you're seeing it die it is a win for me.

G
#25 ·
From what i can tell that's correct what Ware said. I waited about 4-5 days to mow after sedgehammer and haven't seen any regrowth on the nutsedge or kylinga.
Looking at the label on Celsius it says it controls wild onion so I'm giving it a shot before getting some manor. Will report back results. For whatever reason onions have gone crazy in my yard this past week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.