Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on vacation and came back to my yard looking like thiS in the pics. It hasn't rained in weeks and I was finally able to start watering last week due to work. I think this is drought stress but I just want to clarify. I'm seeing a lot of this around me so that's why I'm thinking its drought stress. What are your thoughts

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,314 Posts
Hey 011redcrew, welcome to this forum.

So it was hot and dry in the Indy area the last 2.5 weeks. Your yard looks better than most in Indy without irrigation. It started raining (1.25in here) and it should recover. Now the concern should be fungus.

It is time to play defence. I would avoid more nitrogen for a bit. Nitrogen pushes grow and grow needs more water. If you cant irrigate easily, then it will hurt your lawn. I stopped adding anything until conditions are favorable and I have irrigation. If I add anything it would be in light quantity (~0.25lbN/Ksqft).

Really avoid night watering. Conditions are prime for fungus, so don't encourage it with wet grass all night. In my old house I had no irrigation. I had two spigot timer set for 4am and 5am and water those two zone per day. The next day I would setup to water a different zone. Basically I watered every day, just a different lawn area. Ideal? No, but dealing with fungus is worst. Eventually I found a fairly nice timer that allowed multiple manual start times. I could then setup to water at 4am and 8am. Before leaving for work, I would just move the sprinkler to a different area.

Let me know if interested in the timer and I could find the model on Amazon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks g-man would you even avoid using milo? I kind of forgot i have a timer. If it doesnt rain sunday i will get it out and use it and set the timer for earlier morning and just the sprinkler around day to day. I have been spraying for fungus about every 3 weeks or so. I posted a pics of what i have done so far this year. For fungus i have used patch pro and i also have a bag of scotts fungus control that i got on sale at walmart last fall that i need to use. I also just ordred armada 50 to use to help mix things up. Let me know if you have any other pointers thank you

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,314 Posts
Milo is a source of nitrogen and it will promote grow. If conditions are not favorable and not needed, I don't apply it. It hurts more than it helps. If it starts to get better then I would apply half bag rate. Two weeks later i look at the extended forecast and see if I could apply the remaining half bag rate or wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.