Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess I just wanted to introduce myself and show you all what I have been working on. I realized I had been using this site as my main source of information for my lawn and figured I should just see if I can join and really dive in. I have a ton to learn about my lawn in general.

Little backstory:
Moved into my current house back in November 2016. Previous owner took great care of the house itself ..however I honestly don't know if they ever even tried to care for the lawn.

Well once we kinda got settled into the house I was able to dive in full throttle on the yard situation.
I wish I had better pics of the transformation because I think they would be pretty dramatic. Since we moved into the house in late November I was already behind the eight ball as far as re-seeding the front. So I decided to take my chances and did that early Spring this year with a tall fescue. The backyard is another story entirely. I decided to get rid of a ton of scrappy trees and really open up the backyard. My plan was to allow as much sunlight in as possible so I could have my dream backyard. Flat and open as possible. I knew I wanted to go with a bermuda even though I had no clue what to do once I got it. Mistakes were made in the install process and I am steadily fixing them as I go. Approximately 6,000 sq/ft of TifGrand Bermuda installed back on March 14th.

Anyway enough of the blabbering I am sure you all would rather see the pics.
My plan is to update this as my progress continues. Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah that's awesome transformation!! Are you planning on keeping fescue in the front and tif grand in the back?

Before knowing any better...I did a version of that when I built my house for a couple reasons. One my daughter's was allergic to bermuda but not fescue and secondly the house was going to be finished on November so I told the builder to use annual rye in the front and and fescue In the back, all of which was hydro-seeded. The builder agreed to come back in the spring and seed the front with Bermuda. Long story short, it sucked have warm season and cool season grasses. Different mower heights, watering schedules , fertilization etcetera...

We ended up going through a drought in 2010 which in turn we had water well and sprinkler issues - so in 2012, I drilled a second well, fixed the irrigation problems, killed all the grass and laid 33,000 sq ft of Celebration Bermuda sod. Big job but happy with the results now using a triplex reel to maintain. I love the low cut carpet look of Bermuda and I think you will really love the TifGrand especially if you get a reel mower for it!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MrMeaner,
Thanks for the kind words!
As of right now I am planning to keep the fescue in the front. The front of the house is basically in the shade with only about 2-3 hours of good sun.
Right now I only have my rotary mower. I am diligently scanning the craigslist ads for a used reel mower. Looking for a C-25 or C-27 Tru Cut. I plan to use the reel mower for the backyard and my current rotary for the front. I like the idea of having the TifGrand front and back, but I just didnt think it would flourish with the amount of shade I get in the front. This website has been pretty helpful for me looking at sun exposure. http://www.suncalc.net

But you never know. I am sure like all plans things change. I am kinda just hoping for the best in the front.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cavan806 said:
MrMeaner,
Thanks for the kind words!
As of right now I am planning to keep the fescue in the front. The front of the house is basically in the shade with only about 2-3 hours of good sun.
Right now I only have my rotary mower. I am diligently scanning the craigslist ads for a used reel mower. Looking for a C-25 or C-27 Tru Cut. I plan to use the reel mower for the backyard and my current rotary for the front. I like the idea of having the TifGrand front and back, but I just didnt think it would flourish with the amount of shade I get in the front. This website has been pretty helpful for me looking at sun exposure. http://www.suncalc.net

But you never know. I am sure like all plans things change. I am kinda just hoping for the best in the front.
Skip the Tru-Cut(I have one BTW)and go straight to a 26" greensmower from Toro, John Deere or Jacobsen, you have the perfect lawn setup for one. And please don't just take my word for it, I'm positive others here will join in my suggestion and you can thank us all later. :D :D

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
+1, MrMeaner nailed it.

Looks like a great yard for a greens mower... particularly a 26". I'd be looking for a nice Toro Greensmaster 1600 or a John Deere 260SL. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.