Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thank you for this forum; it is a great resource.
I just sodded my yard with latitude bermuda 2 weeks ago. All is going well except that I'm having to mow every other day (with a difficult to use mower). Contributing to the problem is that my yard has 3 different levels, lots of slopes going in many directions, and it needs to be topdressed asap.
Here are some questions:
1-with an irregular shaped and sloped yard, can I mow the same pattern, or do I need to vary the cut pattern?
2-is it too late to top-dress?
3-can I top-dress the areas with +\- 10% slope (will the sand stay)?
4-what fertilizer or general chemicals should I apply and when?
5-can I expect to mow every other day all summer?
6-where can I buy the maruyama machine with the landscape blade (can't find a dealer in the Austin area)?

Other info:
I'm using a California Trimmer 20" with a Honda 120
I with take delivery of a 25" Tru Cut this week
I'm trying to maintain a 1/2" height on the lawn
The string trimmer is difficult to cut as low as the lawn and look good
Thank you for any advice.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
First, welcome to the The Lawn Forum! We're glad you're here! Second, I'm very jealous - Lat 36 is an awesome bermuda.

1-with an irregular shaped and sloped yard, can I mow the same pattern, or do I need to vary the cut pattern?

I would try to vary the pattern as much as you can. My experience is there will be a pattern that you clearly prefer - use it when you want your lawn to look its best. Then try to incorporate a couple other patterns for mid-week cuts, etc. For some areas like long narrow strips or steep slopes, it may only make sense to cut in one direction. In that case, I would just alternate which end you start from, so that your stripes aren't always in the same direction. The goal here is to try to avoid developing a "grain" in the turf.​

No, it should actually recover faster when the days are hot and the nights are warm. Do you have irrigation? Having adequate water available will help speed the recovery. I would probably wait until the new sod takes root, so that you don't introduce the stress of topdressing to turf that is already stressed. That said, your lawn looks good and your mowing frequency doesn't indicate that it is stressed. As far as how late in the season you can topdress, I would just want to see full recovery before the lawn goes dormant.​

In areas with steep slopes, I would do multiple light topdressings if possible. This will help minimize runoff if you get a hard rain. You will likely get some sand movement, but just keep working it back where it belongs with a broom or rake until everything firms back up.​

There are a lot of options here, but you'll definitely want to begin a pre-emergent regimen once the new sod is established. Most of us use Prodiamine. If you haven't already, read up on the Bermuda Triangle. I fertilize my bermuda every 4-6 weeks or so during the growing season. Let us know if you need help choosing a fertilizer.​

A plant growth regulator (PGR) will help with that. The most popular PGR active ingredient used here is any of the generic Trinexapac-ethyl products. It is possible to reduce mowing frequency by about 50% with a PGR. Good stuff. :thumbup:​

6-where can I buy the maruyama machine with the landscape blade (can't find a dealer in the Austin area)?

Does the Maruyama USA website have a dealer search? My office blocks that site for some reason. Another option may be maruyamaparts.com. Their website isn't the easiest to navigate, but it may be worth a call. I ordered an attachment from them once and got it pretty quick (I think they shipped it from a warehouse in Louisiana).​

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ware
Thank you very much!
Yes, it is all irrigated, and it is all VERY rooted. I can't believe that it has only been down 15 days!
I'm going to top-dress this weekend. I'm having 15yds of the finest sand possible this week. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Concretestorm said:
Ware
Thank you very much!
Yes, it is all irrigated, and it is all VERY rooted. I can't believe that it has only been down 15 days!
I'm going to top-dress this weekend. I'm having 15yds of the finest sand possible this week. I'll keep you updated.
Take pics of the sand job as you're working with it and start another thread. We all love to follow those. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alan said:
Concretestorm said:
Ware
Thank you very much!
Take pics of the sand job as you're working with it and start another thread. We all love to follow those. :D
will do

·
Registered
475 Posts
Concretestorm said:
Around the edges or clean up pass or two I tend to go clockwise one time, counter clockwise the next pass/day

Might be a little early, but you sod looks great at this point to maybe start with a light top dressing... its a lot easier in the spring when you can scalp low and then sand and let the grass grow through

some sand will move the treat those areas more less material more often - I suggest a good heavy drag mat it you plan on sand leveling... other say a broom but unless your burying the grass or the turf is super low already i feel a regular push broom is only does so much

Fertilizer and water for now - just spot treat any weeds.

I would begin and have come to loath that mowing that much but I personally have a huge yard, it will be fun for a while but at some point it gets old. As Ware said they make plant growth regulators which are awesome BTW and will reduce your mower time substantially.

no comment but I would like one myself

Other info:
I'm using a California Trimmer 20" with a Honda 120
I with take delivery of a 25" Tru Cut this week
I have a tru-cut and like it but unless you have already bought it - do some research on a greens type mower - more specifically a larger approach-tee mower... think you would be happier with one on the long run.

·
Administrator
12,864 Posts
Concretestorm said:
jayhawk said:
He did say he has many slopes, perhaps making the trucut the best fit ?

Is that a windmill?
yes, it is a windmill. also, that old stone structure is a 100 year old cistern that we converted to a swimming pool.
That's really cool - would like to see more pics! :thumbup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ware said:
Concretestorm said:
jayhawk said:
He did say he has many slopes, perhaps making the trucut the best fit ?

Is that a windmill?
yes, it is a windmill. also, that old stone structure is a 100 year old cistern that we converted to a swimming pool.
That's really cool - would like to see more pics! :thumbup:
Ware,
i got in touch with the area rep for maruyama, and he helped me get the LB30 with the landscape blade. That machine is so awesome that words can't describe. total game changer!

i will upload more pictures of the windmill and pool (when (if) i ever finish mowing)

·
Administrator
12,864 Posts
Concretestorm said:
Ware,
i got in touch with the area rep for maruyama, and he helped me get the LB30 with the landscape blade. That machine is so awesome that words can't describe. total game changer!
Glad to hear that - they aren't cheap, but make trimming at reel low heights a breeze. :nod:

Did you get the dedicated unit or the power head/attachment setup?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ware said:
Concretestorm said:
Ware,
Glad to hear that - they aren't cheap, but make trimming at reel low heights a breeze. :nod:

Did you get the dedicated unit or the power head/attachment setup?
dedicated unit. it cost $700, and it is worth twice that. with the slope in my yard and many weird angles, there are several large areas that can't be mowed. to be able to cut it 1/2" without string burn lines is awesome.

·
Administrator
12,864 Posts
Concretestorm said:
dedicated unit. it cost $700, and it is worth twice that. with the slope in my yard and many weird angles, there are several large areas that can't be mowed. to be able to cut it 1/2" without string burn lines is awesome.
...not to mention no clippings thrown back into your shins, shoes and socks. It just lays the grass down ever so neatly. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.