Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at some drainage work, bed edging and some other work in the yard. I would like to be as minimum invasive with the lawn as I can to not damage my Bermuda.

Tarp would be easiest but thick plywood might be better. I’m not really looking at heavy equipment.

What are some other suggestions or things you guys use?

· Registered
568 Posts
Is this on dormant grass or growing grass? If the ground is wet and soggy while dormant, then plywood would work better but it would be expensive. Otherwise, a tarp should work. Just know that it might be hard to avoid any and all damage in appearance until the lawn grows in come Springtime. However, if this is work planned for the future when the grass is actively growing, it seems to me like you're almost just better off planning on repairing it after you're done than trying to avoid damage in the first place. If done in conjunction with core aeration, the damage could blend in and be minimized.

· Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this on dormant grass or growing grass? If the ground is wet and soggy while dormant, then plywood would work better but it would be expensive. Otherwise, a tarp should work. Just know that it might be hard to avoid any and all damage in appearance until the lawn grows in come Springtime. However, if this is work planned for the future when the grass is actively growing, it seems to me like you're almost just better off planning on repairing it after you're done than trying to avoid damage in the first place. If done in conjunction with core aeration, the damage could blend in and be minimized.
Dormant grass right now. I think my main concern is trying to keep whatever may be in the beds out of the grass. I going to completely clean them our and pull up the plastic that the old owner has down.
Thanks for the suggestions.

· Registered
6 Posts
If it can't wait till the end of spring when the ground starts to firm up, I use junk plywood to work on when I have to work in wet weather. Here in Oregon its wet and soggy for 9 months out of the year. If I try to do anything in the winter, I end up making divots in the ground with my boots and knees when I kneel in the yard and discover all of them when I start mowing. A wheelbarrow full of wet dirt or gravel will really rut my yard. 7/16" OSB sheets are about $10 at HD here, they can be cut in half and used for a work surface area. A surplus building supply house may have some cheap damaged sheet material as well. Combine that with some tarps and the damage is minimal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts