Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The very first season I started mowing with a greens mower, I wanted a brush kit or groomer on the front.

The groomers are difficult to find and expensive.

The brush kits are easy to find and about $330 on R&R. Still too expensive...

I decided to try and make my own brush kit.

Purchased a 24" push broom for $15 at Lowes.

Purchased a few 4" x 7/8" angle brackets for $3, and drilled out the holes to 3/8" ID for the HOC locking stud.

Attached the broom to the brackets with a few 3" screws, and I was done!

I can also loosen the nuts, and move the brush out of the way.

I plan to move the brush around so the handle hole isn't protruding, or maybe cut it off.

Then I'll test it on the lawn tomorrow afternoon and report back if any changes need to be made for strength or angle of attack. Once I am happy with all that, I'll cut off the extra bristles that extend beyond the reels 21" cut.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it out and didn't notice any issues while cutting. Everything seemed to be normal, and I mean that in the most neutral of ways. I'm not sure if the brush had any real effect. I'll keep using it, couldn't hurt anything.... right?

Took a little video, uploading it later tonight.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
Redtenchu said:
Here is a shot of the mower in action today, one side has zero dirt mounds, the other side has many!

The picture didn't turn out as clear as I had hoped, but you get the idea.

My grooved front roller seems to take care of the mounds. Did you compare roller vs roller + brush? (I'm assuming the left side of that photo had not been mowed yet?)

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ware said:
Redtenchu said:
Here is a shot of the mower in action today, one side has zero dirt mounds, the other side has many!

The picture didn't turn out as clear as I had hoped, but you get the idea.

My grooved front roller seems to take care of the mounds. Did you compare roller vs roller + brush? (I'm assuming the left side of that photo had not been mowed yet?)
I haven't but will try that next time and post it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I tried doing the same thing. I've gotten as far as mounting brackets to a broom, but couldn't figure out how to duplicate the setup Toro advertises on their brush kit. I didn't think about the angle pieces. Thanks for the pics, but after hearing your thoughts, I may not waste anymore time on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I stopped using the brush the past few weeks to give myself a good baseline.

Reset the brush at ground level and gave her a cut (0.300 inches). I feel like the cut is cleaner. The cut grass is thrown over the brush and then lifted up again into the reel for a second cut (mulching?). The stripes are visibly sharper, but not sure you can see in a picture (I took one anyway).

Hindsight: I should've used an 18-inch brush. The 24-inch brush hangs over my reels cutting width, couple that extra width with a little overlap while cutting and you are 2+ inches into the last pass.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.