Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another post reminded me of this... for hard to reach grease fittings, I use a needle nozzle. You basically just use the needle tip to depress the ball inside the grease zerk and inject the grease. It takes a little practice, but I've found that it makes it easier to get into tight places, and doesn't make as big a mess. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Ware said:
Another post reminded me of this... for hard to reach grease fittings, I use a needle nozzle. You basically just use the needle tip to depress the ball inside the grease zerk and inject the grease. It takes a little practice, but I've found that it makes it easier to get into tight places, and doesn't make as big a mess. :thumbup:

What do you have that needs such a device?

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
A Toro GM1000 for me.

+1 on the needle. I bought one and appreciate that it can get to a few zerks that are hard to get to.
I can't believe Toro would design something like that.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mightyquinn said:
What do you have that needs such a device?
I use it on all grease fittings - an old truckdriver gave it to me. Not only does it make it easy to access pretty much any grease fitting from any angle, it doesn't leave a glob of grease on the fitting when you're finished because you're injecting it right into the zerk.

I don't have this fancy kit (mine is threaded directly onto the end of a whip hose), but here is a guy using one at 1:46...

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SGrabs33 said:
I should prob get one of those. Here is the zerk on my TruCut that has never been greased :shock: right above the tire.

Yes, it would work great for that application. :thumbup:

dfw_pilot said:
I paired mine with a Lincoln gun.
Same here, and as the guy states in the video above, you really need a pistol grip grease gun with a whip hose versus a lever grease gun to get the best use of it.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a couple places the needle really comes in handy... under the belt pulleys on my Grasshopper deck and between the frame and drum on my GM1000...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Pretty slick.

I don't own a grease gun, so any recommendations for something on the cheap? Walmart has one of the pistol grip versions for about $15 and it comes with the hose too. The reviews are mixed, so I don't know if some of the more negative reviews are user error or are in fact legitimate complaints. I've looked online at local auto parts websites too and again, mixed reviews-autozone, advanced auto, o'reilly's.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
I would definitely go with a pistol grip. I don't know where I got mine but it seems pretty reliable. I think I got mine at AutoZone.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For our purposes, you might want to see if you can find a "mini" grease gun with decent reviews. I don't think I'll ever find my way to the bottom of a standard size tube of grease.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Ware said:
For our purposes, you might want to see if you can find a "mini" grease gun with decent reviews. I don't think I'll ever find my way to the bottom of a standard size tube of grease.
I use to go through a tube of grease a year on my TruCut! The Baroness needs lubed every 10 hours so about 5-6 times a year. Still on the original tube of grease I bought when I got it. It's not like the grease will go bad.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mightyquinn said:
I use to go through a tube of grease a year on my TruCut! The Baroness needs lubed every 10 hours so about 5-6 times a year. Still on the original tube of grease I bought when I got it. It's not like the grease will go bad.
Ha, for you there is this...

:lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Ware said:
Mightyquinn said:
Ha, for you there is this...

:lol:
:thumbup: Always the smartass!!!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.