Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my front yard, I have a grass that generally looks pretty decent. I'm not sure what it is, though. Was here long before I bought the house. I almost posted this in the Cool Season forum...I'm in the transition zone, and this is a shaded area. But on the off chance that it's zoysia of some sort. Feel free to move this over there if more appropriate. My best guess is fine fescue of some sort? The grass grows extremely slowly during the summer (mowing once every 2 weeks is no issue...could get away with less often if I really needed to). Goes dormant in the winter (North Alabama). Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
If it goes dormant in the winter we can rule out fescue. It doesn't look like Bermuda or St Augustine. My guess would be Zoysia it has a fine blade and is slow growing. I don't have any first hand experience with it though so it's only a guess. If it is Zoysia Spammage could probably tell you what cultivar it is from 3 houses down :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. I guess I thought Meyer would be coarser bladed (then again, I've never actually seen any as far as I know). Also being largely if ignkrant of zoysia, should I see stolons/runners? I don't feel like it spreads much or if it does it's very slow. Could that be because of the amount if shade it's getting? Guess I need to read up on my zoysia care:)

And yes, I just put brand new blades on the mower last night. I'm new to the lawn stuff. Have always known sharpened blades are better, just never put in the time before. Pulled them off to sharpen. They are dinged up beyond belief from rocks, sticks, roots, and who knows what else. So I put them out to pasture instead of sharpening.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Actually Meyer is probably the finest bladed zoysia japonica cultivar. It is not the most shade tolerant variety, but appears to be doing ok. You could attempt to thin the trees out a little to help get more sunlight to the grass. Meyer does spread by both stolons and rhizomes, but I notice very few stolons with Palisades and only slightly more with El Toro. Like you indicated, in shade you won't have much spreading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.