Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor...well, had a neighbor...the house is currently empty. Have never been able to figure out what kind of grass they have. Any guesses from the ever knowledgeable TLF hive mind?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can post a side by side comparison but to me they look at least like different varieties of zoysia. The neighbor's yard is cut much longer than mine, but I'd say it's noticeably wider leafed and lighter in color. I'll grab a photo when I get home from work with both grasses in the same picture.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Spammage said:
Txmx583 said:
Thatch... I mean zoysia
Easy now...

Haha, just referring to that in particular yard, zoysia is a great looking grass!!! Just planted some myself!!! (Around some shady areas.. wish the seed would start growing though....)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
As far as cultivars go with zoysia, it might help some to know when it was installed (if sod) or seeded. Most of the improved cultivars have only been available in the last 15 years besides Meyer and Emerald. I would rule out Emerald based on blade width alone.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll ask the daughter of the owner next time she's over to do maintenance on the house (owned by an elderly lady who now lives in an assisted living facility). Still wanting to get a picture of my zoysia next to this stuff...sadly it's been raining since I started this thread. My suspicion is that it is older than 15 years (same folks have owned the house for 50 years), but I could be wrong.

@Spammage. What're the chances that the grass in my yard that I posted pics of is emerald zoysia vs Meyer? If both yards are zoysia, both are "old", and one is thicker bladed than the other, aren't odds that the thicker bladed is Meyer and thinner emerald? Just thinking out loud. Like I've said before, I don't know much:)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Shade, height of cut, cut frequency and other factors can also affect blade width. Emerald will have blade width more similar to a hybrid bermuda where Meyer will be like common bermuda or slightly wider. A pic of the two together along with a reference (ruler, golf ball, etc) will probably help.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome. Good to know. Spammage, I know you mentioned you would take the zoysia lower than I have it cut. Is it ok to go that low now in the middle of the growing season? How low should I take it down to? Could "scalp" it to 1.25" and then cut at 1.75"? Should I dethatch now or wait until next year?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I would scalp and bag the clippings. You may have to make several passes at the same height to make sure you really get it down to the 1.25" though. Then you can assess whether it needs to be dethatched. I'm guessing that it would be beneficial though based on the pics. Water and fertilizer and maybe thin the tree canopy a little and you should be good to go.

Your heights are fine (I assume you are cutting with a rotary), but make sure the blades are sharp. Zoysia is a much tougher grass blade than bermuda and requires frequent blade sharpening. If you do move to a reel, you can cut it at the same height as the Celebration. Zoysia does well on organic fertilizer. If you want to give it a jumpstart you can put down alfalfa pellets @ 10-20lbs/K.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.