Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gophers have always been a problem in the town I live in. We have a sandy loam soil and it's easy digging for them. Over the last couple years I've been fighting a losing battle with them. I had tried poison pellets/grains, the big smoke bombs and a couple different traps with mixed results.

That all changed with the help of the people on here. I now have 2 different kinds of traps and they flat out work! I've successfully cleared 2+ acres of gophers. Once I see a new mound I can set a trap and it's game over or to quote Carl Spackler "Au revior, gopher"

If you're having gopher problems I would highly recommend these traps.

http://www.victorpest.com/victor-the-blackbox-gopher-trap-0625

http://www.traplineproducts.com

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
J_nick,

Which size Trapline are you using? It looks like they make (3) sizes - Standard Mole, Large Mole and "Gophinator". Whatever you're doing is obviously working well, but the graphic below gives some manufacturer recommendations on which trap to purchase.

Also, is there any type of indicator to let you know you've caught one, or do you have to dig up the trap to check it?

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Gophinator. I have different style of traps for moles. My soil is really sandy and it's hard to keep a mole tunnel intact to use the ones from trapline. I have a scissor style I use for moles.

I tie my traps with around 2 feet of heavy string. They give you a spot on the back to tie it off. I make a loop on the other side of the string and carry an old screw driver to anchor the trap. You definitely need to anchor your traps. I leave just a little slack in the line. Once a gopher triggers the trap it's reaction is to back up and will pull the string tight. Don't leave too much slack though because they will pull it in the hole farther than you'd think.

Next time I set one I'll post a picture.

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
Awesome. Makes perfect sense.

Do you set them right in the end of the tunnel where the mound is or do you locate the tunnel by probing around the mound?

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ware said:
Awesome. Makes perfect sense.

Do you set them right in the end of the tunnel where the mound is or do you locate the tunnel by probing around the mound?
I set them right at the end of the tunnel. I find where he has been pushing the dirt out and use my hands to clear the tunnel. I then place the trap in the tunnel as far as I can, normally it's less than a foot in the tunnel but I have set them deeper with success.

I've tried probing and I'm not the best at it. For me it's easier to do as mentioned above. In my soil I can easily dig up to armpit depth using just my hand in a few minutes.

I've been using a spray deer hunters use call Elimiscent to spray my hands and traps before I start. I read somewhere gophers have a good sense of smell and might be shy if they smell you. Not completely sold on it as I've caught them with and without it, but my thoughts are it can't hurt my chances.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I had to dig down quite a ways to get to his tunnel on this one. On a tunnel like this the Black Box would be hard to use and I would need to move a lot more dirt. This is how I set my Trapline's. String is tied off to the screwdriver (anchor) with a small loop before going down to the Gophinator. To check it just go see if the loop is still there. After a few hours if it is still there I will pull the trap and see if he blocked off his tunnel right before the trap. It happens but stay persistent eventually he will be caught.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Although I don't struggle with this issue as of now,
(fingers crossed) I find this thread fascinating and comical.

I love the kill counter

I want to know if this is an unending battle. Will you ever gain the upper hand?

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wardconnor said:
Although I don't struggle with this issue as of now,
(fingers crossed) I find this thread fascinating and comical.

I love the kill counter

I want to know if this is an unending battle. Will you ever gain the upper hand?
It will most likely be an ongoing battle. I live on the very east edge of town, we have 9.5 acres. I have a neighbor who is also an avid gopher hunter 100 yards to the south of me and the nearest neighbor to the north is over 1/4 mile away. Everything to the east is farm ground. Eveything close to the house is for the most part gopher free but eventually one makes it close or in the yard. With so much open ground near by I don't see it ending anytime soon.

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
I've been thinking of ways to control gophers while on vacation, at work, or hanging out at the gun range or cigar shop, and I really think a few of these may be the answer. :bandit:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts