Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm too cheap to spend $45 on a Toro socket adapter for removing the bedknife scews, and I couldn't find the right size screwdriver on-line or a big box store. So I ground down an old , large flat head screwdirver until I got a snug fit.
Then I replaced the old screws with new allen head screws for next time.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
It could be an illusion, but the bottom photo looks like they might have different countersink angles/depths?

I think I gave about $25 for my Toro socket at R&R.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I would like to add that I would buy OEM screws or OEM equivalent screws too. The bedknife is NOT somewhere you want to take short cuts or go cheap on. Just my .02

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right Ware, different lengths and slightly different angle. The head sits flush with the bedknife, and I didn't think it would be a problem as I cut .5-.75", so I wasn't worried about scraping anywhere. I just loathe the flat head screws, but maybe it's not the best idea, we'll see. I'll monitor them and update if I discover anything.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
And it may be fine, but like MQ said, I followed the torque sequence, etc. to a tee when I changed my bedknife. If something happened and it moved during use, it could trash the reel.

Also worth noting, I think Toro recommends using all new bed knife screws each time you remove them - I'm assuming to mitigate bolt stretch related issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.