Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently switched to a reel mower and lawn is looking great. Here's what I am currently doing and some questions. Correct me in anything k could change or improve on.

I scalp, pre emergent, aerate, and start fertilizer early spring. Fertilize every 5 weeks or so and pre emergent again in Sept. One heavy watering per week with an irrigation system.

I'm cutting the grass around an inch, give or take a bit. Maybe a touch under but somewhere in there, hard to measure precisely.

Question, grass near the driveway isn't bad at all but is lacking a bit compared to the middle of the yard. How can I fix or help this?

Also, what are physical signs it's time to fertilize??

Anything else i could add in or do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Any turf near or or touching concrete/ metal will lose moisture at a greater rate than areas surrounded by soil.
I fertilize when I see the deep green starting to fade. Not that scientific but it has worked for me. No reason to overthink this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
To say what signs tell a lawn needs fertilizer is hardly an exact science. To me, water, fertilizer and mowing should always be done before the visual appearance shows the need. This will be different for every yard. While there are general guidelines, only experimentation and experience will provide the answers for your yard and help you build your own schedule.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tha ks KS for the answers!

What's the best post emergrnt for spot spraying? Celsius? Is anything else good and safe in high heat for the grass?

I walk around with a weed puller once it's too hot to use standard weed killer. I noticed some people on here saying they spot spray with Round Up? Does the grass recover quickly from this or something??? I only use Round Up for grass and weeds in my islands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.