Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea, but my TTTF is yellowing and becoming discolored with spots on the leaves. It looks like a combination of going dormant and/or a fungus is taking over. What is the go to fungicide you guys recommend? The grass has also basically quit growing now that it has gotten warm here.

Is there any harm in applying a fungicide if that is not the problem? I'm sure you want pics, but I am at work and forgot to take some.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Let's see those pictures first. There is definitely harm in applying fungicide, it takes out beneficial fungus as well.

Now in full disclosure, I'm on a preventive fungicide regimen, which is bad, but it's not as bad as the devastation I've seen fungus do to my lawn in past years, so I chose the lesser of two evils.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
They are the most effective treatment once disease sets in. A cheaper option would be Patch Pro (propiconazole) applied at 2oz/K as a foliar spray. It will probably do the job, just not as quickly.

·
Registered
376 Posts
luderiffic said:
So these products are really expensive (Headway and Heritage) I am assuming the Bayer and Scotts brands which are much cheaper is junk?
Not garbage. They work too, just not as effective and usually don't last as long. I used Bayer's fungicide to squash a rust outbreak pretty quickly. In fact, propiconazole (Bayer's AI) is the same as the more expensive Banner Maxx. Also, propiconazole is one of the AI's in Headway.
The only one that you won't find in the box store that I'm aware of is Heritage's AI (Azoxystrobin) which happens to be the most effective against the most damaging diseases. I believe it's off-patent as of last year and should drop in price when generics come out.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
LIgrass said:
...The only one that you won't find in the box store that I'm aware of is Heritage's AI (Azoxystrobin) which happens to be the most effective against the most damaging diseases. I believe it's off-patent as of last year and should drop in price when generics come out.
Good to know. :thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all! I went ahead and ordered the Patch Pro, it had lots of positive reviews. Seems a bit more economical, this is my first summer with TTTF and one part of my yard split by the driveway looks amazing. This part of the yard in the pics above just has never looked as good. I've been thinking I had a soil compaction issue and was going to core aerate in the fall but maybe its just a fungus? At least Fescue seed is cheap and if I have to scrap it and start over, I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have TTTF and I seem to get rust and a mix of brown and dollar spot each year. This year I tried to put down a fungicide right before the conditions became ideal for it. It's starting to show signs of it but not as bad. I used a cheaper brand that I found at a local garden center. I plan on putting down another application in 4 weeks. Might go with the same brand or I've had success with Scott's fungicide. They don't necessarily clear it but help control the spreading. Depending on what fungus it is a little Nitrogen will help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.