Lawn Care Forum banner

Fungicide regime strategy

1079 Views 26 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  ionicatoms
I had for the past two years fungal disease that affected about 15k sq ft out of about 32 k sq ft of tttf. I think but can't be certain that it was Pythium Blight because I didn't collect a sample and have it analyzed. It went from healthy turf to dead in about 48 to 72 hours. At 72 and being new to this I'm having a hard time getting a handle on what to do this year to get ahead of this. A purchased a gallon of Azoxy because it is listed to be effective against pythium plus a bunch of other possible fungal diseases like dollar spot, brown patch etc. What would you recommend to alternate to if you were not certain what fungus devastated your lawn. Mefenoxam is rated effective for Pythium but not much else and more expensive than Azoxy. Can i get away with just Azoxy?? Can I mix Azoxy with something like Propicanizole for each application and avoid resistance anyone dealt with this?? Any help to ease this worried mind would help!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Azoxy is upward mobile. Product taken up by the roots will make its way to the leaf. It is not downward mobile so applications on the leaf will not get to the roots. Because of this, Azoxy is best applied to the root zone That will treat both root based and foliar diseases. The 4 gallon/1000 will get more of the product off the plant and into the soil.

If you apply with 1/2 gallon of carrier, just water in like you were thinking. 0.1-0.2 inches is what you want.

If you apply increase carrier per 1000 without changing anything else, you can upsize your nozzles. That is one benefit of TeeJet nozzles. They have calibration charts that give GPM at specified pressure. If you want to double carrier volume, choose the same tip with twice the GPM. They also give gallons/1000 for speeds from 2-5 MPH. Catalog 52 - Broadcast Nozzles (teejet.com)
Reactions: 1
I put down 1 G/M as a standard application on my homemade sprayer on my zero turn. Instead of changing things I just make 2 passes when applying Azoxy. Of course I only put 1/2 of the recommended Azoxy in the tank.
Azoxy is upward mobile. Product taken up by the roots will make its way to the leaf. It is not downward mobile so applications on the leaf will not get to the roots. Because of this, Azoxy is best applied to the root zone That will treat both root based and foliar diseases. The 4 gallon/1000 will get more of the product off the plant and into the soil.

If you apply with 1/2 gallon of carrier, just water in like you were thinking. 0.1-0.2 inches is what you want.

If you apply increase carrier per 1000 without changing anything else, you can upsize your nozzles. That is one benefit of TeeJet nozzles. They have calibration charts that give GPM at specified pressure. If you want to double carrier volume, choose the same tip with twice the GPM. They also give gallons/1000 for speeds from 2-5 MPH. Catalog 52 - Broadcast Nozzles (teejet.com)
Thanks helpful!
For about 50 years of my adult life lawn fungus was off my radar. Northern NY in the Saint Larence Valley had cool summers and low humidity and never do I remember issues with fungus. Now I'm in Maryland extremely humid and hot summer. I had bad fungus in the last 2 of the 3 years I've been here resulting in major turf damage. So I'm trying to develop a cost effective strategy to deal with it. I think my first big mistake was not getting a turf analysis to identify the causative fungi. I thought some form of Pythium because it went from healthy turf to dead in like 3 days. Wet soil from rain plus irrigation (can't trust the forecast) plus I mowed before things dried out, then it rained more after mowing all contributed I think. There are times when things don't dry out because the humidity stays above 90% all day and your grass is already 5 inches tall. When that happens you feel compelled to mow.
In my limited experience I thought spray applications was the way to go but now I question that. Azoxystrobin seems to be a staple for many. DiseaseX is 21$ a bag to treat 5000sq ft, (preventive rate) nice granular product, however liquid Azoxystrobin cost roughly about 7 $$ plus or minus depending on low or high rate amounts to treat the same square feet, in my estimate. The dilemma for me has to do with 2 things wind and dilution for spraying. Every day by the time the grass dries out the wind has picked up to at least 8 mph or above on average. My sprayer only delivers 0.5 gal per 1000 sq ft driving at 3 mph, and Azoxy calls for 2 to 4 gal. per 1000sq ft. So therein lies the dilemma. So what do you use to spray with?? What type of sprayer, who manufactures, any problems with applying recommended gallons of carrier at rates of 2 to 4 gallons per 1000 ?? How do you address wind speed ?? What is your cut off to avoid having product drift off??? Do you agree or disagree that the higher cost of granular products makes it easier to manage and is worth the money?? I really want to learn how to manage my tttf lawn that 2x I have had to do major repair/ renno.
See less See more
I think your math is way off. At $21/bag, DiseaseEx is $4.20/k while the highest price I've seen for Liquid Azoxystrobin on Amazon is $1.84/k. Heck, I'm getting ready to do a split on the marketplace @ $0.77 per k ($65 for 32 floz) and others have it for just a little more.

Pretty much all of us coping with fungus are looking for the cheapest solutions. I think universally we have concluded that add-your-own-water-pruducts are the way to go.
I think your math is way off. At $21/bag, DiseaseEx is $4.20/k while the highest price I've seen for Liquid Azoxystrobin on Amazon is $1.84/k. Heck, I'm getting ready to do a split on the marketplace @ $0.77 per k ($65 for 32 floz) and others have it for just a little more.

Pretty much all of us coping with fungus are looking for the cheapest solutions. I think universally we have concluded that add-your-own-water-pruducts are the way to go.
I think

I think I was making the reference to per 5000sq feet for comparison of product not per thousand, sorry thought that was an easier was to think about it but maybe I should have broken it down to per K. So at Amazon's Azoxy at 1.84$ per K, you mentioned, that would make it 9.20$ for covering 5000 sq ft to compare Azoxy to DiseaseX each treating 5000sq ft. I paid $319 a gallon from "Domyown" web site for my Azoxy. I think I picked some middle value re: oz per K to come up with my 7 $ per 5000K comparison. In any event 7 or 9 dollars to treat 5000 sq ft seems better than DiseaseX at 21$. I don't remember for certain but isn't DiseaseX once every 28 days for everything it is supposed to treat vs the label on liquid Azoxy is every 14 to 28 days depending on some variables. That seems to make DiseaseX possibly more competitive in some circumstances.
Do you have much issue working around wind??? I was all set to spray this morning and the forecast changed overnight it was supposed to stay below 7 mph but by 8 am we were having 9mph. Most days start calm but by the time the turf dries (10 or 11am) its already over 10 mph. That seems to be my biggest challenge now that I want to establish an every 14 day treatment for fungicide spray --- that constant wind!
See less See more
In terms of reapplication intervals, there is no difference between granular and liquid Azoxystrobin.

Wind above 10mph can be a problem for me. But I’m using a backpack sprayer and typically putting out 2 gallons per k.

Spraying every 14 days is probably overkill, and will require rotating in other fungicides or mixing more than one mode of action to prevent resistance.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts