Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I started a foliar fertilization program tailored towards my Seashore Paspalum on sandy soil with a few goals in mind:

1) Carefully manage N input and keep between 2-3 lb/1000ft2 over a 9-10 month "growing(green)" season.
2) Combine as many applications into one as possible and spray less throughout the year.
3) Feed lawn in "sips vs gulps"(credit MQ) with reality that my sandy soil with low OM is going to leach. Being an environment stuard and not wasting materials was also part of this goal
4) Quickly respond to nutrional deficiencies or other opportunities

*I will add some thoughts/experiences in the coming days to help answer questions for those who may have been curious about a similar program.

Nutritional Materials used for this venture:

Calcium Nitrate(soluble granules)
Ammonium Nitrate(liquid)
SulPoMag(soluble granules)
Zinc Sulfate
Copper Sulfate
Manganese Sulfate
Borax
Roots 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Ware said:
:thumbup: Looking forward to this.
+1

I've already thought about using some 46-0-0 to feed the lawn with the Franken Sprayer. This might be the way to go after I run out of my current supply which should last another year or two!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't know how I missed this thread but thanks for the redirect.

While you are doing a full foliar program I was looking at a way to do just nitrogen. I'll list some questions I have.

I know you are doing yours on paspalum and I'm looking at Bermuda. If I normally would put down granular at 1lb of N/1k sq ft. is the same true for the foliar application?

Do you water it in after?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red Cup said:
Don't know how I missed this thread but thanks for the redirect.

While you are doing a full foliar program I was looking at a way to do just nitrogen. I'll list some questions I have.

I know you are doing yours on paspalum and I'm looking at Bermuda. If I normally would put down granular at 1lb of N/1k sq ft. is the same true for the foliar application?

Do you water it in after?
What type of Nitrogen are you planning on using?

Ammonium?
Urea?
Nitrate?

What result are you seeking?

I would recommend starting at .25lb/1000 whatever source you go with. Your results will tend to be a good bit quicker than granular. I would water in 8-10 hours after spraying.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Do you use any NIS to help the fertilizer "absorb" better into the leaf blades?

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I have just started using a stabilized Nitrogen/ Iron product as a foliar application. My understanding from using the product is that you pretty much throw the granular way of thinking out the window. As the plant uptakes directly through the leaf, the rates are about 1/10 that of of a granular application. I must admit it has me flummoxed and questioning the validity of the label rates, but I will trial it and see how it performs. So far so good, however we are in the Fall in Aus and I may not get a true representation until I have trialed for a full growing season.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
SGrabs33 said:
southernguy311 said:
Now that I have invested in the new walk behind sprayer, I see this getting a lot more interesting.
Ditto. I'm going to be spraying everything!
Having a nice push sprayer really opens up your options for everything!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I highly recommend checking out turf fuel. Complete foliar program. I'm using base 25 which is a slow release N that is applied every 2 weeks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.