Lawn Care Forum banner

First time lawn reno

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jessehurlburt 
#1 ·
I'm looking at taking on my very first lawn renovation.

I'm sitting on about .37 acres and the house/driveway takes up a 1/4 of the plot. My current yard is about 30% weeds (6 variety's) 40% KBB/Rye mixture, and about 30% compact clay/rocky soil that never germinated/washed out.

Here is the current competition!

I would like to plant Midnight Kentucky Blue Grass and before I start killing off the existing lawn, does anyone have any other grass type recommendations? I wasn't sure if I should go straight Midnight or go with a blend like Seed Super Stores SS5000 blend.

I currently own a craftsman yt4000 42" riding mower but would like to look investing into a good reel mower so I can cut low.

Before I start any of this, I need to kill off the existing lawn and bring in some topsoil to regrade the yard. I'm thinking 1/2 compost & 1/2 topsoil mixture and roll it smooth.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
g-man said:
Welcome to TLF. I would start by giving the cool season guide a good read and then a soil test. The guide will explain to first hit those weeds with Weed b Gon. And then some of those will need weed b gon CCO. Be careful with temperature as some products could kill you grass. Read the label.

I understand your goals, but I will suggest to get a year of following the guide and learning proper spray techniques, irrigation, etc, before doing a Reno. Once you get your lawn to look perfect, then do the Reno. A Reno is a risky business and proper preparation and experience are needed. We will guide you the rest of the way.
I'm actually looking to kill off the grass...hence the renovation. The compact/rocky clay soil is a nightmare and I'm about the right time to start the project, if I start by July I should be ready to lay seed around the beginning/mid August. I live about 5 minutes from Lebanon Turf / Lebanon Seaboard and they manufacture everything locally other then the seed I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.