Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

What do you all make of this post? It's not possible to tell whether or not these mowers are operational or how much work it would take to get them up to speed. I contacted the seller, and he can't even tell me which models they are. They appear to me to be C27s.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/d/reel-tru-cut-mowers-honda-eng/6249311929.html

Just assuming three of the four can be nursed back to working, what is the used market for this stuff? I'd plan to keep one for myself and sell the others.

Thanks!

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,872 Posts
Welcome to TLF! :thumbup:

Those look pretty rough, and I'm not sure if I have ever seen Tru-Cut wheels that slick. Someone was likely using them in a commercial mowing operation. I'm not into taking on projects like that, so I would say you would probably be money ahead by putting the $550 into one that is ready (or nearly ready) to mow, but I suppose anything is possible.

SGrabs33 may be able to give you an idea of what they might sell for if you got them in running/cutting order. Quoting him so he will get a notification.

· Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I am guessing that the seller bought this as part of some sort of auction and that's why they cannot tell you the model. I saw the exact same ones posted on Craigslist a while ago for slightly more $ so I am guessing they did have any luck selling them back then.

It all depends on how much time and/or money you would like to put into the project.

What looks good:
Price!
All Honda engines
They are very dirty, which would deter most from buying them. They prob power wash pretty well.
I don't see any parts missing that alarm me. (besides reel being uninstalled, mentioned below)

What doesn't look so good:
In the 5th pic, mower closest to bottom, the reel seems to be taken out. (im guessing that one is trashed. just a guess though) If it is trashed you can use it as a donor for the other 3.
Tires worn
Pull cords not fully recoiling
All have casters, no rollers which would be an added benefit

If it was local to me I would probably take a stab at it. I have looked at many used reels before and kinda know what to check out.

Most expensive parts to replace that I have seen issues with before:
1. New Reel - $350ish
2. New assembled clutch - $350ish
3. New tires - $60ish a piece
4. Front roller (not essential for resale) - $150ish

I would guess that if they were operable that you could get at least $500 for each. The reel mower market in ATL is pretty robust. You can get a C27 for anywhere in between $500 and $1500 depending on condition.

I see you already have an H20 so your prob no hard pressed to buy a reel mower. If you are up for a winter project this might be a good option.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all!

I wanted to see them and then come back with a trailer if everything looked decent, but the seller said he'll only show them if I arrive with a trailer. He also said he would sell them for $400 and even deliver at that price if I commit to purchase for $400 with inspection of only the pictures.

Assuming I can get 3 of the 4 engines going with cleaned/replaced carbs, oil, and plugs, it might be worth a try. I'm worried about the clutches and reels because I don't want to deal with those problems. There's no way to tell without them running, however. I noticed the problem with the pull cords but not the removed reel.

I'm not in any rush since I have the H20, but a wider carriage would be nice. One thing is for sure, there's no way I could hide all these from the wife.

· Premium Member
2,506 Posts
jphudy said:
Thanks all!

I wanted to see them and then come back with a trailer if everything looked decent, but the seller said he'll only show them if I arrive with a trailer. He also said he would sell them for $400 and even deliver at that price if I commit to purchase for $400 with inspection of only the pictures.

Assuming I can get 3 of the 4 engines going with cleaned/replaced carbs, oil, and plugs, it might be worth a try. I'm worried about the clutches and reels because I don't want to deal with those problems. There's no way to tell without them running, however. I noticed the problem with the pull cords but not the removed reel.

I'm not in any rush since I have the H20, but a wider carriage would be nice. One thing is for sure, there's no way I could hide all these from the wife.
Weird that he will only show them if you bring a trailer. I am guessing that he just doesnt want to waste any extra of his time showing them to tons of people.

You are right that there would be no hiding them. 7 inches doesn't seem like too much more but it is. I upgraded from the 20 to the 27 earlier this year and it is nice.

Free delivery is nice for 400 bucks but if you are not interested in messing with the reel/clutch at all you should prob pass. Maybe you would get lucky and have one that is in working order after messing with the engine, but that's not too likely by the looks of them.

It would be a good project if you are up for it though. If you already have the H20 I would just get that looking nice and sell it to use the money for one of the better looking 27 inchers that are there in the ATL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.