Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've said in other posts...complete noob to doing more than cutting and throwing out an occasional bag of milo in my yard. Brand new sod (2.5 weeks). When should I apply a fertilizer? 30-60 days after install?

Is there a real difference between fertilizer choices? Brand? Or for all intents and purposes is every fertilizer with the same NPK functionally the same? Obviously you have the choice between synthetic/organic, but within those categories, I guess, I"m wondering how to pick a brand. Any recs there (interested in both synthetic and organic choices).

For this first season, do I need to go with something like Lesco's starter fert (18-24-12)? Should I still be shooting for ~0.75-1 pound of N per 1k/sq ft?

·
Registered
859 Posts
mrigney said:
As I've said in other posts...complete noob to doing more than cutting and throwing out an occasional bag of milo in my yard. Brand new sod (2.5 weeks). When should I apply a fertilizer? 30-60 days after install?

Is there a real difference between fertilizer choices? Brand? Or for all intents and purposes is every fertilizer with the same NPK functionally the same? Obviously you have the choice between synthetic/organic, but within those categories, I guess, I"m wondering how to pick a brand. Any recs there (interested in both synthetic and organic choices).

For this first season, do I need to go with something like Lesco's starter fert (18-24-12)? Should I still be shooting for ~0.75-1 pound of N per 1k/sq ft?
You sodded with celebration correct?! What I've done in the past after sodding celebration was to apply a 1-2-1 fert, like the lesco starter that you mentioned once it rooted, 4-5 weeks. Use that until next season. Celebration should be happy with about .5lbs/1ksqft of nitrogen. I use nitro-phos 19-4-10 slow release but I bet using only milorganite would be enough fert for celebration. This year I'm pushing my N input as it is still estabalishing from plugs that I planted last July.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Didn't realize Celebration would be happy with as little as 0.5lbs/1ksqft. I'll pick-up starter fert then. You say to use that the rest of this season....monthly application? So I could apply July 1, Aug 1, Sep 1? Or is that too frequent?

Also, love looking at your plugs project. I have about 2k sq ft that I am hoping to plug with Celebration next summer. Was just too much (time and money) to tackle as part of this year's project.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Great article JN!!! I think I have that saved somewhere. I think giving Bermuda 1lb/K of Nitrogen a month is excessive unless you are trying to get areas to fill in or thicken up. It will create more problems than it solves. I feel like .5 lb/K every 4-6 weeks ( Depending on the amount of slow release) is a better starting point for nitrogen.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a great article! Still digesting it. In regards to N required, I have read that Celebration also generally requires less than Tif. Anyone with Celebration confirm this/have experience (larias?). I'm planning on starting at 0.5 and adjusting from there.

·
Registered
859 Posts
mrigney said:
That is a great article! Still digesting it. In regards to N required, I have read that Celebration also generally requires less than Tif. Anyone with Celebration confirm this/have experience (larias?). I'm planning on starting at 0.5 and adjusting from there.
Look up the celebration videos from sod solutions, I like watching them. They also mention using a lot less fert. Use .5lbs and I bet that will be more than plenty. I use a lot more because I'm pushing my celebration with all the verticutting and aerating that I'm doing.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
M311att said:
Is preventing fertilizer burn as simple as thoroughly watering it in?..….specifically urea?
This just happened to me this week, I applied some 46-0-0 and didn't water it in and it was all dissolved in the morning from the dew and now I have little brown spots all over the lawn from it burning. In hind sight I wish I would have just ran the irrigation for a bit to water it all in. Oh well, lesson learned and will be fixed in about 2 weeks :D

So, yes, I would recommend watering fast release fertilizer in as soon as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.