Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you guys use for weather forecasts, rainfall amounts, etc.? Wunderground? AccuWeather? Weather Channel? Local news?

It's hard to really find a reliable one that will get it pretty close. I'd like to know a decent 10 day forecast so I can time things like sand leveling. No one wants to smooth out tons of sand and then have a monsoon 2 days later.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
Fistertondeluxe said:
I use an app called Dark Sky. It's different is the easiest way to put it. It gives very good forecasts and shows a pretty reliable estimate when precipitation will start and end.
I downloaded that after you (or someone else) mentioned that in another thread. It is kind of neat.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I follow a local radio meteorologist on social media for local forecasts. For everything else I use Wunderground.

A PWS is on my wishlist, though. I figure it'd be good for the geek and gardener (of veggies and KBG) in me.

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,312 Posts
I've been looking for a place to see the actual total precipitation in the past 24hrs in a map that I could zoom in to my town. The NWC has a this (http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/obsmaps/obsprecip.php), but I cant zoom in. Any ideas how to see this?

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
g-man said:
I've been looking for a place to see the actual total precipitation in the past 24hrs in a map that I could zoom in to my town. The NWC has a this (http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/obsmaps/obsprecip.php), but I cant zoom in. Any ideas how to see this?
NWS radar images provide some data for 1-hour and storm total rainfall (see list of images on the left), but I think it's easier to read that data on an app like RadarScope.

WunderMap will show you rainfall data gathered from Personal Weather Stations by selecting the Precipitation layer (from the drop down pane on the right side of the screen).

Alternatively, it's hard to beat one of these. :lol:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to save some of these. Up to this point Wunderground and Accuweather have done pretty well. I'm just getting very OCD with it trying to time mowing, fert, sand leveling, etc etc. It's annoying when one tells you it's a 40% chance for the next 36 hours....and it doesn't rain at all or sprinkles once. I need a psychic or something :lol:

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
I've always been a fan of Wunderground and I also use their Storm app too!!! For quick reference I will just use the weather app that came with my iPhone which I think is powered by The Weather Channel. I enjoy my local weather guy on the news too but you kind of have to combine all the information you get from 2-3 sources to figure out what might actually happen with the weather.

·
Registered
188 Posts
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=joshuatee.wx

If you're looking for one that's very advanced and aren't afraid of steep learning curves I suggest wx. It's basically a collection of nws and spc products. It has a bunch of models and radar products.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.