Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@BrettWayne Great!
Let's compare.

Ok, my plan is to put down a weed killer (Dikamba spray) and a weed and feed with (NPK 14:2:4, FeSO4 and MCPA, Mecoprop-P). I have a few weeds and I want to get them while their leaves are big enough to hit and before they produce seeds. I'll do a spot treatment.
I wil do this part some 6 weeks prior to actual overseeding.

The basic plan is to wait for a dry day after 15.08. and:
1. Mow low (25 - 30 mm)
2. scarify
3.* drop seeds
4.** scatter soil mixed with sand
5. rake and level
6. roll
7.*** put down starter fertilizer
8. put down organic fertilizer
9. water as needed.

* not sure at what rate. I'll be applying 100% ryegrass. The rates I find on the internet are from 20 - 100 grams per square meter.

** not sure if I should use pure sand or a mix of soil and sand, since I haven't yet put down any sand and don't want to create layers of different materials in the ground.

*** not sure if it is too soon

I am not sure if maybe I should shampoo or not.

I try to keep it simple. :)

Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@j4c11 I forgot to add that I will try to level some low spots, because last year I tilled the soil and didn't level it corectly. :(

@01redcrew I just did. :-|
I figured that 6 weeks is enough time to wash the herbicides from the soil. I used weed and feed because I don't have a license for handling these herbicides in a pure form.

Any tips on shampooing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday I spot sprayed with dikamba, and "powdered" the spots of clover with weed and feed.
We just had a modest summer storm, which gave my grass some 3 mm of water, which is good.

I am going on vacation, so my lawnsitter will mow, bag and dispose the clippings on monday and again on friday. I set the mower on 6 cm, which Around 2,36 inches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Tenacity
http://www.greencastonline.com/product/tenacity-herbicide/overview/turf

Key Features
Weeds controlled include crabgrass, ground ivy, yellow foxtail, yellow nutsedge and nimblewill. It also controls unwanted bentgrass.
Provides post-emergent control of tough-to-control weeds
Controls weeds at seeding reducing weed competition

Key Benefits
Prevents and controls crabgrass pre or post up to four tillers
Eliminates weeds at seeding so new grass can flourish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I just need to find a way to get it, because we need a license for most of herbicides here. Grr!!

DJT said:
Tenacity
http://www.greencastonline.com/product/tenacity-herbicide/overview/turf

Key Features
Weeds controlled include crabgrass, ground ivy, yellow foxtail, yellow nutsedge and nimblewill. It also controls unwanted bentgrass.
Provides post-emergent control of tough-to-control weeds
Controls weeds at seeding reducing weed competition

Key Benefits
Prevents and controls crabgrass pre or post up to four tillers
Eliminates weeds at seeding so new grass can flourish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
ales_gantar said:
Thanks. I just need to find a way to get it, because we need a license for most of herbicides here. Grr!!

DJT said:
Tenacity
http://www.greencastonline.com/product/tenacity-herbicide/overview/turf

Key Features
Weeds controlled include crabgrass, ground ivy, yellow foxtail, yellow nutsedge and nimblewill. It also controls unwanted bentgrass.
Provides post-emergent control of tough-to-control weeds
Controls weeds at seeding reducing weed competition

Key Benefits
Prevents and controls crabgrass pre or post up to four tillers
Eliminates weeds at seeding so new grass can flourish.
Not anymore.......
Amazon and http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/tenacity-herbicide-p-1877.html
have it. I really believe in this herbicide and have used for several years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha.
I found it under a different name.
Turns out we have Syngenta products here, I just need to check if I need a license to buy it. :)

DJT said:
ales_gantar said:
Thanks. I just need to find a way to get it, because we need a license for most of herbicides here. Grr!!

DJT said:
Tenacity
http://www.greencastonline.com/product/tenacity-herbicide/overview/turf

Key Features
Weeds controlled include crabgrass, ground ivy, yellow foxtail, yellow nutsedge and nimblewill. It also controls unwanted bentgrass.
Provides post-emergent control of tough-to-control weeds
Controls weeds at seeding reducing weed competition

Key Benefits
Prevents and controls crabgrass pre or post up to four tillers
Eliminates weeds at seeding so new grass can flourish.
Not anymore.......
Amazon and http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/tenacity-herbicide-p-1877.html
have it. I really believe in this herbicide and have used for several years.
 

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
Joined
·
15,312 Posts
I'm not sure what the weed is. Tenacity is a good product but it might be an overkill for it. Have you tried other products? Do you know what you could get without a license? In the usa we could buy Weed b Gon.

https://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-weed-b-gon-plus-crabgrass-control-concentrate/prod70162

The active ingredients are: 2.13% Quinclorac, 6.42% 2, 4-D, 0.60% Dicamba The 2, 4-D is a very old herbicide, effective and the main one to look for. Places that sell for farmers or livestock might have it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just noticed that the broadleaf in the picture is dying.
I have weed and feed with these ingredients. Asef and Substral, which are basicaly Scotts, but the European toned down version.
I have Dikamba, but I can only buy it in 100 ml packages, which is enough.
I only have to tackle crabgrass and poa annua. For the first I found a 200 ml package, but am not sure if I need a license. I am still looking for something against poa annua. Tried to buy glifosate to brush it on the grass, but they stopped selling it, because they say it's too toxic. Wankers.

g-man said:
I'm not sure what the weed is. Tenacity is a good product but it might be an overkill for it. Have you tried other products? Do you know what you could get without a license? In the usa we could buy Weed b Gon.

https://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-weed-b-gon-plus-crabgrass-control-concentrate/prod70162

The active ingredients are: 2.13% Quinclorac, 6.42% 2, 4-D, 0.60% Dicamba The 2, 4-D is a very old herbicide, effective and the main one to look for. Places that sell for farmers or livestock might have it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I changed my mind about the seeds.
I was going to buy 100% ryegrass, which is suposse to be coated, but it doesn't look like it is coated, but now I'll buy coated seed 20% *** 80% PRG.
I wanted to buy Scotts coated perennial ryegrass at about 25€/3,5 kg + 1.000.000,00€ for shipping costs, but then I found we have a company that produces the 20/80 coated seed, which is close enough. And it costs 24€ for a 5 pound bag, which is within reasonable limits. In my oppinion.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top