Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good buddy of mine sent me an Eley hose reel and I got it installed today. If you are looking for something that really just works, and screams quality, forget the box store and go to Eley's website and order the best I've ever seen in a reel.

It's super solid, smooth, and makes rolling up a hose a joy. I have 120' of 3/4" UnderHill hose and it's really thick, making it a challenge to store on a standard hanger. The Eley does a great job with it. Two things I added was the gooseneck adapter and the extra capacity kit. [2018 Edit: Reels now ship with the gooseneck adapter] The gooseneck prevents kinks in thicker hoses, and the extra capacity allows longer hoses to fit. I also got a couple quick-connection kits. I have always hated quick connection kits in the past because all Lowes/Home Depot sell are cheap and restrict water flow. These connections have a larger inside diameter than my shutoff valve!

A 3/4" shorty hose connects my irrigation line to the reel with a quick connect. The 3/4" gooseneck connects to the hose, and the nozzle also connects with a quick connect. Finally, the cover protects the investment from the Texas sun. There is a 10-year warranty and several configuration options. The same unit can also allow a hose to be extended perpendicularly from the wall, or in a parallel fashion like I've done here. If you need to move some serious water, hate the box store reels, or just have inadequacy issues, check out the Eley reel. I'm pumped and wanted to share. I now owe my buddy, big time.

I also got a Eley Two-Way adapter for my hose bib. It's a lot beefier than the box store stuff, has a larger ID, is easier to turn on and shut off, and allows a second adapter to fit right below it, instead of having to add a second adapter to one side of the first adapter. I love this thing, too.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
+1 on the Eley hose reels!!! I have 2 of their older models that are about 8 years old and still going strong. They are just so nice to use and you can roll and unroll your hose with ease. Their customer service is great too if you ever do have a problem with yours. Last year I upgraded my hoses to the 3/4" Polyurethane hoses that they sell. I really like the look and feel of them but they have a little bit of "memory" to them when you first get them but hopefully that will go away after being outside for a little bit. Eley Polyurethane Hose . Everything they make just has this "quality" feel to it!!!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
My wife said we need a new hose reel for the back today and I immediately thought of this post. We have bought multiple reels from the box box stores before and they seem to have about two years in them before they break or discolor. We went to Lowes today and their prices range from 60-100 for products that are visually comparable to Eley but probably don't have much reliability.

Question. Do they ever put the reels on any type of descent sale?

I am most likely to get two, one for back and side our house. I did see that with every order over 75 you get a 4 piece quick connect set that looks nice, as DFW mentioned. I guess If I were to buy these I would do two orders so that I could get two quick connect kits. I'm not sure what they charge for shipping though.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
SGrabs33 said:
My wife said we need a new hose reel for the back today and I immediately thought of this post. We have bought multiple reels from the box box stores before and they seem to have about two years in them before they break or discolor. We went to Lowes today and their prices range from 60-100 for products that are visually comparable to Eley but probably don't have much reliability.

Question. Do they ever put the reels on any type of descent sale?

I am most likely to get two, one for back and side our house. I did see that with every order over 75 you get a 4 piece quick connect set that looks nice, as DFW mentioned. I guess If I were to buy these I would do two orders so that I could get two quick connect kits. I'm not sure what they charge for shipping though.

The free quick connects seem to be an ongoing special, but still cool. They sent me a 10% off code for leaving a couple items in my cart for a day or two. I would share it, but I want to make sure it's not a one time use code. I bet you could set up an account and get one too, though. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
They rarely ever have sales on their hose reels or anything else. I just checked and the shipping difference by buying them together, you would save about $13, that is to my house though. Can't be too much difference since we live nearby each other for the most part. They are definitely worth it and it will be the last hose reel you will need to buy and there customer service is very good too.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those quick connect sets are really nice to have. I ordered their nozzle set, some Y-connectors and some random other stuff and got several more sets of connectors.

They might have a deal, but it may not be worth it to you to wait with spring coming up. I will say: I think they are worth the money.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Thank you all for the quick responses.

Ware said:
They sent me a 10% off code for leaving a couple items in my cart for a day or two. I would share it, but I want to make sure it's not a one time use code. I bet you could set up an account and get one too, though. :thumbup:
Account created. Thanks for the tip.
Mightyquinn said:
I just checked and the shipping difference by buying them together, you would save about $13, that is to my house though. They are definitely worth it and it will be the last hose reel you will need to buy and there customer service is very good too.
Thanks for checking that for me. I think an extra 13 bucks would be worth getting another quick connect set. Always good to know when a company has great customer service.

dfw_pilot said:
They might have a deal, but it may not be worth it to you to wait with spring coming up.
Very true. I was dragging around my 100ft hose today and it was not fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
I just got an email from Eley for stuff left in my cart and the 10% off code is ABC17 if anyone want to use it! It's the same as Ware's

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
They might have a deal, but it may not be worth it to you to wait with spring coming up. I will say: I think they are worth the money.
Ware said:
...but my wife also ordered some stuff and had it shipped to her office. :thumbup:
Mightyquinn said:
I just got an email from Eley for stuff left in my cart and the 10% off code is ABC17 if anyone want to use it! It's the same as Ware's
Thank you all. Just completed my order. I decided to just get one for the back yard now to check it out. I don't use the hose on the side of the house too often but if I like the product enough I'm sure I will be ordering another. FYI the 15% essentially paid for the shipping, which is great.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I got mine to the house today! I opened the box and was going to put it together and noticed some of the plastic pieces look used and or damaged. All of the other pieces seem to look good though. Maybe it's just the way they make them but they look off to me. Can someone else compare them to yours please.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
I haven't opened mine yet, but check out those quick connects! This is an Eley male connector next to one of the "nice" ones from Lowe's:

The Eley has an ID of about 0.74". The box store one measures about 0.46". Very impressive!

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
SGrabs33 said:
I got mine to the house today! I opened the box and was going to put it together and noticed some of the plastic pieces look used and or damaged. All of the other pieces seem to look good though. Maybe it's just the way they make them but they look off to me. Can someone else compare them to yours please.

Doesn't really look "used" to me. It more looks like it's part of their molding process. Call their Customer Service and I am sure they will take care of you! Might want to email them the pics too as that might be better.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Ware said:
I haven't opened mine yet, but check out those quick connects! This is an Eley male connector next to one of the "nice" ones from Lowe's:

The Eley has an ID of about 0.74". The box store one measures about 0.46". Very impressive!
You would have to show the "male" connector to compare size. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
SGrabs33 said:

Doesn't really look "used" to me. It more looks like it's part of their molding process. Call their Customer Service and I am sure they will take care of you! Might want to email them the pics too as that might be better.
Customer service was great as expected. They said it was most likely just a small imperfection from the molding process. I told them they didn't need to send a replacement if they thought it was going to work properly. They said they were going to send one anyways just in case :thumbup: I'm looking forward to putting it to work this weekend.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts