Lawn Care Forum banner
461 - 475 of 475 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
everytuesday said:
Short update with the new 52" zero turn Ego mower. I've had it about 2 weeks now, thing cuts beautifully - tons of power. I think on its lowest speed setting it moves twice as fast as my old cub cadet lol. Anyways my first big issue I've had with it is that the POT button, the big red one that engages the blades on and off, is not working anymore. The button moves up and down like you would expect, but the PTO icon on the LCD is flashing saying it needs to be disengaged. Nothing I've done seems to reset it, I even took the deck apart to look for anything obstructing the blades. Talked to ego earlier and it looks like I have to get it serviced. That means someone is going to have to be scheduled to come out, pick it up, take it to a service center. Then have it looked at, repaired, then dropped back off.

Ugh - what a downer day.
Any update on how things are going with your zero turn?

· Registered
2 Posts
The_Dave said:
Results:

It is marginally lower, as would be expected. I don't have any additional washers that'll fit the spindle or whatever it's called, so all I did was move that washer behind the blades. Main issue is that it no longer captures the blades, meaning that you can't grab the blades to tighten the bolt.

When I tightened the bolt, it moved this white plastic piece which is hard to grab. So I wasn't able to tighten the bolt as much as I'd like.
I had the exact same tightening issue with the white part (fan). It would spin as I tightened the middle flange bolt. I was getting ready to contact EGO when I decided to try it a final time and after having it spin for awhile it suddenly gripped something and tightened up perfectly. No idea why.

· Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,234 Posts
San said:
ZachUA said:
I bought an EGO string trimmer last year at Home Depot and now it appears they don't carry that brand any more. Kinda a bummer.
All the Ego went to Lowes and Ace Hardware, I think it was competing too much with HD's own Ryobi brand.
It made a lot of sense really. HD can now focus on products from TTI (Ryobi, Rigid, Milwaukee), and Lowes can do the same with Chervon. (Skil, Kobalt, EGo, Flex)

· Registered
355 Posts
San said:
ZachUA said:
I bought an EGO string trimmer last year at Home Depot and now it appears they don't carry that brand any more. Kinda a bummer.
All the Ego went to Lowes and Ace Hardware, I think it was competing too much with HD's own Ryobi brand.
Wow I didn't realize that! Ok so I can still go to a big box store to get Ego. That's good for me.

· Registered
445 Posts
Just a quick note about getting a bad battery replaced under warranty:

I bought a few EGO tools during the Home Depot clearance in 2020, and the bare 2.5 Ah battery I bought in September 2020 (manufacture date April 2020) started to die after a short amount of use and would flash red LED lights when I tried to test/charge it.

I called EGO support and after humoring the CSRs silly troubleshooting steps for half an hour I was able to get them to ship me a replacement after emailing them a copy of my receipt. Ten days after I called EGO, UPS delivered a brand new battery in retail packaging and it's perfect.

Another interesting thing is that they didn't want the bad battery back. The CSR said to scratch out the serial number and recycle it. I'm curious enough to take it apart and see if there are any obvious bad cells in it, but we'll see.

· Premium Member
5,160 Posts
massgrass said:
Just a quick note about getting a bad battery replaced under warranty:

I bought a few EGO tools during the Home Depot clearance in 2020, and the bare 2.5 Ah battery I bought in September 2020 (manufacture date April 2020) started to die after a short amount of use and would flash red LED lights when I tried to test/charge it.

I called EGO support and after humoring the CSRs silly troubleshooting steps for half an hour I was able to get them to ship me a replacement after emailing them a copy of my receipt. Ten days after I called EGO, UPS delivered a brand new battery in retail packaging and it's perfect.

Another interesting thing is that they didn't want the bad battery back. The CSR said to scratch out the serial number and recycle it. I'm curious enough to take it apart and see if there are any obvious bad cells in it, but we'll see.
Same exact experience here. I still have the old one lying around and was thinking of dissecting it. I'm pretty sure the batteries are fine and the problem is in one of the safety circuits. It started acting up while string trimming in hot humid dewy conditions. I have the model that has the motor at the head so I'm wondering if the moisture wasn't the issue and maybe shorted out one of the circuits in the battery.

· Registered
7 Posts
Couldn't sleep last night and I was going through the pages to see how everyone liked the EGO weed eater/edger combo, well I saw a bunch of people asking if there was a striping kit compatible for the EGO mowers. While looking for a replacement mulcher part, I came across this at the bottom of the page. Hope it can help some of y'all out.

Looks like they have one coming soon and another website showed a retail price of $129.99

https://egopowerplus.com/21-inch-mower-striping-kit-ar2100/

· Registered
105 Posts
MortgageMan90 said:
Couldn't sleep last night and I was going through the pages to see how everyone liked the EGO weed eater/edger combo, well I saw a bunch of people asking if there was a striping kit compatible for the EGO mowers. While looking for a replacement mulcher part, I came across this at the bottom of the page. Hope it can help some of y'all out.

Looks like they have one coming soon and another website showed a retail price of $129.99

https://egopowerplus.com/21-inch-mower-striping-kit-ar2100/
Interesting, I didn't see this striping kit before. It have you considered the Checkmate striper made for EGO mowers? I've seen this in a few YouTube videos and the users seem to like it.

https://www.bigleaguelawns.com/checkmatetrad-lawn-striper-for-ego21-plastic.html

· Registered
2 Posts
I have had the larger 56v 5.0 AH Ego battery for longer than my smaller 2.5 AH. I know as my 5.0 battery charges the bright green lights turn on in stages. I can't remember if the smaller battery does that also. Right now I am only getting about 15 minutes of use with the 2.5 and when I charge it it blinks red then yellow then green then turns off when charged. Is that normal for the 2.5 compared to the green light stages on the bigger one? Why would the 2.5 not last as long as it should?

· Registered
423 Posts
The flashing is normal, but if the battery is relatively new and it's not holding a good charge, it could be one of the cells failing. Reach out to Ego, their warranty is pretty good and they will replace it, if it fails early.

· Registered
3 Posts
I am impressed with their new carbon fiber string trimmer with the auto load. Also, their blower at 580cfm, it beats out some gas powered blowers and I think its perfect for the home owner.

I invested in Stihl batteries but Ego has them beat by a lot. Post pics of your Ego power equipment!! Prospective buyer here!

Thanks for making this thread Ware, it was needed. :)
The power winder on mine quit after a year. It's useless without it.

461 - 475 of 475 Posts