Lawn Care Forum banner
421 - 440 of 475 Posts

· Premium Member
225 Posts
turfnsurf said:
Ngilbe36 said:
I just picked up an almost brand new EGO 21in mower with bagger and 7.5ah battery for a steal on FBM yesterday and I smiled basically the entire time while I mowed my front yard. Its like an RC car with a blade haha.
Is FBM the FaceBook Marketplace? Congrats on the steal! Were they moving or something?
Yeah FBM = Facebook Marketplace, sorry. The seller's father had passed away and they were just clearing out his stuff. $150. It was listed for 8 minutes before I messaged the seller and headed over.

· Registered
565 Posts
I finally replaced my first-gen Ego 21" self-propelled with the latest model. I was an early adopter, so I think I got almost 10 years out of the first mower. I call that a win.

I bought the lowest priced self-propelled 21" model Ego. I didn't look into the two or three more expensive versions. At a glance, it looked like those models just have a longer run-time. Yeah, I don't need a longer run time! I only want some light exercise. I mow for a about 30 to 45 minutes. Then this old fat guy needs a cigar+water break in the shade.

I didn't realize how bad the old 7.5 AH battery had gotten. It just gradually ran shorter and shorter over the years. I didn't really notice until late last year. Eventually, I could only mow about 20 minutes between charges. Due to the near-constant rain this year, I could barely keep up with the growth. I was mowing every second it didn't rain. But what actually forced me to open my wallet and let out the moths was that the rear-drive died last week. I'm just too old to push-mow 14K SF.

The new battery (and mower) cut my entire 14K SF in one go. The battery status never went "red". It was a light cut at 3" HOC, but I was impressed. When I got a decent break in the rain, I was finally able to scalp the entire 14K from 3+" back down to 2" HOC. The battery status went to red after about 8K to 10K SF, so a recharge was needed. Again, I was impressed. The lawn is very dense and the mulching was very heavy. I had to re-sharpen the blade after than scalping.

From an engineer's view, the most interesting "old vs. new" comparison is the heavy-cut behavior. The first-gen model tended to increase to "max RPM mode" under very little load which drained the battery rather quickly. This behavior "trained" me to mow frequently and take very light cuts.

In contrast, the new model maintains the same RPM even under a fairly heavy load. I had to scalp rather heavy to invoke the "max RPM mode". I like this software change since the mower is quieter and the battery lasts much longer. Good job Ego.

My only thumbs-down for the new model is the rear drive-motor has a loud whine. I mean, the motor whine is significantly louder than the main motor (and blade) during normal mowing. I loathe the loud dentist drill sound that varies with the speed control. I'm very sensitive to high-pitch noises and it gets pretty darn annoying. The first-gen model had an absolutely silent rear drive-motor.

My old Ego mower and battery still work for about 20 min. For now, I'm just using it to hack down field weeds at my rear property line. But I'm thinking about converting it to a DIY hacked moss scrubber for my pavers on the North side of my house.

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
Madao said:
How many batteries are enough? I'm thinking of blower, edger, landscape blade, and hedge trimmers.
If one battery is enough or get extra batteries at the reduced price when bundled with tools and possibly sell extra batteries to recoup costs.
For your size lawn I would say two batteries, with at least one of them being a 5Ah. One would probably work, but with two you can always have a fresh one ready to go.

· Registered
23 Posts
I busted a part on my Ego mower changing out the blades. I'm looking for a replacement fan #3403110001. It is a plastic piece that sits under the mower blades.

Ego doesn't have it...backordered. They referred me to several online parts stores. I believe it is on a container ship somewhere. I have open orders from a couple places since early December. Long shot, but does anyone have a spare that I could buy or another idea before I end up not having a functioning mower in the spring?

I've been keeping tabs on Amazon, partswarehouse.com, Jack's small engines and rcpw.com.

Also, word to the wise, be careful with your stuff given the supply chain weirdness.

Thanks

· Premium Member
203 Posts
Finally bit the bullet and made my entry into the ego ecosystem and I couldn't be happier. Got a backpack blower to replace my dewalt handheld and it is a game changer. I splurged a little bit when I found a good deal on a 10ah battery and now I can blow my entire yard on the "turbo" setting on one charge (For perspective, before I was going through 5 dewalt 5ah batteries to do my whole yard in the fall).

I also went with the power+ interchangeable yard tool. I bought the bare tool package with the edger attachment and use the 5ah battery that came with the blower to easily take care of all my edging and trimming.

For trimming I knew I wanted to run power rotary scissors instead of a line trimmer, so instead of wasting the money on an additional trimmer attachment that I would immediately take the head off of to attach the rotary scissors, I gambled on a suggestion from a previous post in one of these ego threads and tried just ordering a replacement shaft from parts warehouse. It works perfectly and at $25 instead of $120 it's a no brainer if you are looking to make your own PRS attachment.

https://www.partswarehouse.com/EGO-Connecting-Tube-Assembly-EGO-2824590002-p/ego-2824590002.htm

The only thing I can't decide on now is whether or not the rapid charger is a worthwhile upgrade over the standard one that came with the blower. It takes a really long time to charge the 10ah battery, but since it does the whole yard in one charge I haven't found myself in the position where I need it to be ready to go again super quickly.

· Registered
68 Posts
atticus said:
For trimming I knew I wanted to run power rotary scissors instead of a line trimmer, so instead of wasting the money on an additional trimmer attachment that I would immediately take the head off of to attach the rotary scissors, I gambled on a suggestion from a previous post in one of these ego threads and tried just ordering a replacement shaft from parts warehouse. It works perfectly and at $25 instead of $120 it's a no brainer if you are looking to make your own PRS attachment.

https://www.partswarehouse.com/EGO-Connecting-Tube-Assembly-EGO-2824590002-p/ego-2824590002.htm
That sounds intriguing. Would you be willing to post a picture of your setup? The link doesn't have a picture of the product so I have a hard time imagining how this would work.

· Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,234 Posts
atticus said:
..... Got a backpack blower to replace my dewalt handheld and it is a game changer. I splurged a little bit when I found a good deal on a 10ah battery and now I can blow my entire yard on the "turbo" setting on one charge (For perspective, before I was going through 5 dewalt 5ah batteries to do my whole yard in the fall).
The only thing I can't decide on now is whether or not the rapid charger is a worthwhile upgrade over the standard one that came with the blower. It takes a really long time to charge the 10ah battery, but since it does the whole yard in one charge I haven't found myself in the position where I need it to be ready to go again super quickly.
How much of that 10aH is left when you finish your lawn?

· Premium Member
203 Posts
rookie_in_VA said:
atticus said:

That sounds intriguing. Would you be willing to post a picture of your setup? The link doesn't have a picture of the product so I have a hard time imagining how this would work.
Not the greatest product page, I agree. But it is literally just a drop in replacement shaft for their multi tool system. So there's the end that connects to the power+ base and then the end you connect the rotary scissors to.

Normally to use the rotary scissors with the ego system you would buy a "donor" tool (usually the string trimmer), then take the string trimmer head off of the shaft and replace it with the rotary scissors. The cheapest I've seen the string trimmer tool is ~$100.

With this option you just buy the shaft for ~$25 and connect the rotary scissors and you're good to go.

Here are the pics of mine:

· Premium Member
203 Posts
MasterMech said:
atticus said:
..... Got a backpack blower to replace my dewalt handheld and it is a game changer. I splurged a little bit when I found a good deal on a 10ah battery and now I can blow my entire yard on the "turbo" setting on one charge (For perspective, before I was going through 5 dewalt 5ah batteries to do my whole yard in the fall).
How much of that 10aH is left when you finish your lawn?
Depends on how many of those damn sweet gum balls are on my lawn. They stick to my thick Zorro like Velcro, haha.

I would say, on average, I've got about 1 bar left on the 10ah when I'm done blowing. And that's using the "turbo" setting almost constantly.

The blower I bought came with a 5ah battery, which never comes close to dying after using it with the rotary scissors and the edger. I can't see myself ever needing more than a 10ah for blowing and 5ah for everything else.

· Registered
68 Posts
atticus said:
rookie_in_VA said:
atticus said:

Not the greatest product page, I agree. But it is literally just a drop in replacement shaft for their multi tool system. So there's the end that connects to the power+ base and then the end you connect the rotary scissors to.

Normally to use the rotary scissors with the ego system you would buy a "donor" tool (usually the string trimmer), then take the string trimmer head off of the shaft and replace it with the rotary scissors. The cheapest I've seen the string trimmer tool is ~$100.

With this option you just buy the shaft for ~$25 and connect the rotary scissors and you're good to go.

Very creative, thank you for sharing.

· Registered
301 Posts
atticus said:
rookie_in_VA said:
atticus said:

I'm itching for the official Ego version. I'm tired of stringing and restringing my string trimmer.

· Registered
423 Posts
everytuesday said:
Lowes has zero info on when they will sell ego's new 52" zero turn.
Ah that one is nice, I've been eying that as well, but can't justify the cost yet.

Did they give you an eta at RCPW? It seems they don't have it in stock either.

I remember on Mackey's site they were accepting pre orders with an estimated ship date in early April.

421 - 440 of 475 Posts