Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 475 Posts

· Registered
338 Posts
I am impressed with their new carbon fiber string trimmer with the auto load. Also, their blower at 580cfm, it beats out some gas powered blowers and I think its perfect for the home owner.

I invested in Stihl batteries but Ego has them beat by a lot. Post pics of your Ego power equipment!! Prospective buyer here!

Thanks for making this thread Ware, it was needed. :)

· Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Anybody have any experience with the battery mowers?

Home Depot has a lot of excellent reviews on them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Battery-Walk-Behind-Push-Mower-with-5-0Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-LM2101/206515766

Anybody know how well it performs at the lowest setting. (1 1/2in)

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Splitting this out into a separate discussion...

Fishnugget said:
Ware said:
Fishnugget said:
...I wonder if Ego's multi tool trimmer/edger will work? If it does, its an alternative option.
I have a couple Ego tools (blower and hedge trimmer). I reached out to them about the shaft dimensions, but never heard back. I will follow up this week.
I am seriously considering purchasing their Ego blower, do you have the handheld 580cfm blower? How do you like it? What battery do you have? I am looking at purchasing one. My 3-4 yr old Stihl blower at 400+ cfm is not cutting it. I thought about a bigger battery but I dont want to invest in Stihl battery equipment. I like their hedge trimmer and figure I will use the stihl battery only for the hedge trimmer.
I have the 530 cfm blower with the 2.5 Ah battery (~$179) - the only one they stock at our Home Depot. The 580 cfm model with the 5 Ah battery (~$299) would be nice. I'm not sure what the weight difference is, but the bigger battery is probably worth the ~$100 upcharge, especially if you planned on getting some other Ego tools. That said, I haven't had any issues with the power or the runtime on mine. It handles a standard after-mow cleanup on my lawn just fine.

My only minor complaint is it doesn't have the same quick response as my Stihl backpack. It takes about a 1-1.5 seconds to spool up from the off position. It also doesn't instantly shut off - it takes about a second. It's not terrible, it's just a different feeling from working with a gas blower from idle.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishnugget said:
I invested in Stihl batteries but Ego has them beat by a lot...
I agree... Stihl seemed to pioneer into the Li-ion outdoor power equipment world, but to me it just seems kind of expensive for what you get. Also, the 3 different battery tiers (AI, AK, AP) just complicates things too much.

· Premium Member
706 Posts
I have the Ego string trimmer (not the new model with the auto load head). I really like it - a lot. It is quiet, and just as, if not as powerful when cutting thru thick overgrown grasses.

Now, with that out of the way, they've had to honor their battery warranty once already. I bought the trimmer last year around May timeframe. By July the battery was shot and would not take a charge. The charge indicator just flashed rapid red when I put it on the charger. I did not use the trimmer excessively, and made sure to store the battery indoors, versus the shed that is not air conditioned, and has huge temp swings. The battery only discharged to the point of needing a charge twice before it went bad.

I called the customer service line, and they were VERY helpful, and explained that the battery itself was good, but a circuit inside the battery that monitors the charge went out, so I'd need a new battery. It took them less than a week to have the new battery at my door.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I knew what the end of the shaft looks like on their string trimmer attachment and it matched one of the Idech Landscape Blade adapters, I would consider trying to convert one. I would probably go with the MHC1502 string trimmer and edger combo that comes with the 5 Ah battery ($399). Surely it would handle the Landscape Blade - they offer a pretty comprehensive assortment of attachments for that unit.

· Registered
602 Posts
Well dang it, this opens the door back up for my landscape blade to the Stihl KombiSystem. I really would like to go the battery route as I don't really have much use for one other than the LB and maybe some edging.

Waiting to hear what you find @Ware

· Registered
350 Posts
ABC123 said:
Anybody have any experience with the battery mowers?

Home Depot has a lot of excellent reviews on them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Battery-Walk-Behind-Push-Mower-with-5-0Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-LM2101/206515766

Anybody know how well it performs at the lowest setting. (1 1/2in)
I have no experience with it, but I just finished doing a lot of research on lawn equipment. I ended up getting a timemaster mower but got ego everything else. I got the multi head attachment with string trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer and the 580 cfm blower. I also got their snowblower, but somehow I never needed to snowblow after I got it which was mid february.

It would be nice to also have an electric mower, but doing research I found that there are issues with mulching and power. There are several threads on their forum with people having problems with the mower leaving behind a line of clippings. There are also a number of reviews mentioning the mower's difficulty in thicker or wet grass, causing the engine to bog down.

The mower does have fantastic reviews, and if you have some of their other tools it might make sense to get one. I just didn't really want to sacrifice anything even though most users seem happy. It seems for now the cut quality and power of gas can't be beat. This is true for other equipment too, but I have pretty average requirements for those (not cutting through a ton of brush or trying to blow a ton of leaves). Plus my timemaster is 30"!

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ryeguy how is the performance (power and runtime) wih the edger attachment? And which battery do you use? 5 Ah?

Also, I read that the Ego attachments use a 7-spline shaft. Do you have any way to take some measurements and let me know if it might accept this Maruyama attachment?

· Registered
350 Posts
We've had an abnormally slow start to the season up here, so I actually haven't had the chance to use it yet. My first mow of the season will probably be this week. I'll post some more thoughts to this thread once I get a few usages out of it.

I have two 5ah batteries since those came with the snowblower.

I can get those measurements but I don't have calipers. Would measuring with a regular tape measure still be worthwhile to you?

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ryeguy said:
...I can get those measurements but I don't have calipers. Would measuring with a regular tape measure still be worthwhile to you?
For sure, anything would help. My local Home Depot doesn't stock the powerhead/attachments, so I can't go get any measurements.

I'm pretty sure the outer tube is 25mm on the Ego, and I've read that it uses a 7-spline shaft. I'm curious if that's the case, what the diameter of the shaft is, how far it extends out of the outer tube, and if there are any detent holes or anything on the outer tube that help lock it in place.

If it's not too much trouble, I would also be curious to see what the business end of the drive shaft looks like if you loosen/remove the string trimmer and/or edger head from the attachment tube. In other words how the drive shaft engages the gear box on the string trimmer or edger. Knowing this would let us know if the adapters that are included with the Idech Power Rotary Scissors would work.

· Registered
204 Posts
@Ware Let me know if you need any other measurements, I have the power head and edger.

So far the edger works like a champ, love not using the loud, gas, stihl model. The ego blower does a good job too.

Had the mower. While the battery aspect was really nice, the cut didn't, well, cut it! The motor rpm throttling made for not the best cut. As was mentioned above it did get bogged on long or wet grass, sometimes scalping it. It might be fine for someone who never mows more than 20%, a lawn that's not too thick, and not wet at all.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kevreh said:
Ware Let me know if you need any other measurements, I have the power head and edger.

So far the edger works like a champ, love not using the loud, gas, stihl model. The ego blower does a good job too.

Had the mower. While the battery aspect was really nice, the cut didn't, well, cut it! The motor rpm throttling made for not the best cut. As was mentioned above it did get bogged on long or wet grass, sometimes scalping it. It might be fine for someone who never mows more than 20%, a lawn that's not too thick, and not wet at all.
If anyone gets a chance to pull the string trimmer and/or edger head off the attachment shaft I would be curious to know if the adapters included with the Idech Power Rotary Scissors (see below) would work. The Maruyama attachments look pretty close, but that probably wouldn't be the best option for someone who doesn't already own Maruyama stuff.

1 - 20 of 475 Posts