Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wouldn't do a thing. Fresh battery, tried other batteries. My self loading string trimmer stopped self loading too after a year. The only dependable EGO i've had is my leaf blower. HD won't service, and service centers are too far away. Anyone else had these problems?

· Premium Member
5,160 Posts
I've had battery issues with my EGO string trimmer. I replaced it with a Husqvarna 2-cycle. My wife still uses the EGO because it is lighter but I can't be bothered dealing with the battery nonsense. I've replaced the battery twice under warranty and still having intermittent issues. The humidity wreaks havoc on batteries down here and I have to keep them and the charger in the house.

· Registered
5 Posts
Just wouldn't do a thing. Fresh battery, tried other batteries. My self loading string trimmer stopped self loading too after a year. The only dependable EGO i've had is my leaf blower. HD won't service, and service centers are too far away. Anyone else had these problems?
I have their trimmer, multi-head unit, blower, lawn mower, chainsaw, hedge trimmers, and power center. I have had all of these products for the last 3 years.

The only issue I had was the LED display on the Power Center crapped out - although the unit still worked. I also have one battery out of six that has intermittent issues where it appears dead, but then won't charge because it's actually nearly full. Unfortunately the battery is out of warranty, but thankfully taking it on and off a piece of equipment once or twice typically fixes the issue.

My advice is to direct message Ego's social media accounts. This seems to be the most effective method to get companies to treat you properly these days. Rather than calling and spending 45 minutes on the phone, only to have someone give canned answers from a script and then tell you they won't help you, messaging them on social media puts fear into them.

I called Ego about the Power Center, which still had two years on the warranty. Guess what? I spent 45 minutes on the phone and they gave me the run around. I called a few more times and they said they had no records of my calls. I finally direct messaged them on Twitter and explained their crappy practices and guess what? I had a brand new Power Center at my door in a week and didn't have to return the old one, which I still have.

Even if you have a small network on social media (I never post anything and have a few followers), they are terrified of going viral for negative things. This method has worked for me with several other companies too.

All of the equipment I have works really well, but it does seem that a small percentage of people have issues and the company can be spotty with service.

Aside from have nearly zero maintenance on 7+ pieces of equipment - which saves me a ton of time - I can use all of these early in the morning before the neighbors are awake, which is a huge advantage. And I absolutely hate hearing commercial leaf blowers all day - all my neighbors seem to hire landscapers - I am happy not to contribute to the noise pollution.

Some of the equipment is vastly superior to gas powered equipment, and some of it isn't, but still good enough for the frequency in which they are used by me. The mowers definitely do not have anywhere near the cut quality of a good gas powered mower.

I still have a Deere 1025R to mow my two acres, among other tasks. The Deere takes more maintenance in a season than those 7+ pieces of equipment combined will ever need in a lifetime.

The products aren't perfect, but most of them are pretty damn good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts