Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mother nature gave us a head fake in the south these past few weeks, but according to Greencast, the ground temps are still below that 60 degree mark in north GA anyway.
Next 10 days, the ground temps are going to dip again to between 40 -50 degrees.
we will probably be into mid-late February in zone 8 before we hit and or stay above that 60 degree level.
Next round of Prodiamine will be in that window as long as the forecast shows temps consistently above the 60 degree mark.
What are the rest of you warm season lawn guys seeing?
Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

· Premium Member
Celebration and Common Bermuda 10k Sq. Ft. Cal Trimmer, Ryobi Electric, Rotary Scissors
486 Posts
WOW! So, have you already applied your early spring Pre-emergent application with temps above 60 degrees?
Unfortunately not. This is my first spring to apply Pre-e, and the last couple weeks were unseasonably warm. I just wasn't expecting it tbh. I'll put some down here in a week or so. It got down to 27* here last night, and we have several nights of cold weather coming up. I'm hoping it didn't get too far away from me. But oh well, you live you learn. 🙂

· Premium Member
St Augustine and Centipede 2 acres
101 Posts
I dropped Dithiopyr and Isoxaben in early November. As soon as the yard dries a little out comes the Prodiamine. Temps been warm, very nice days in central Louisiana. Highs in 50s and 60s the next few weeks with some lows in the mid 30s later in the week and upper 40s the next few weeks.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Terrestrial plant

· Registered
13k Bermuda / 10k Zorro Zoysia
202 Posts
I was starting to worry but it is cooling off again around Atlanta. Lots of rain in the longer range forecast but appears it will still be cooler at night. Guessing we have 2-3 weeks still until we will start seeing the temps rise.

· Registered
14 Posts
I applied my Preemergent a week ago.I was worried that I might miss the window. My soil temps were averaging. 57 degrees,so I applied.Now I see this week soil temps falling back down. O well better to have put down than waited too long. As soon as you think you figured it out Mother nature throws you a curve ball. Wish I had help from the 2017 Astros on this one. LOL

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I applied my Preemergent a week ago.I was worried that I might miss the window. My soil temps were averaging. 57 degrees,so I applied.Now I see this week soil temps falling back down. O well better to have put down than waited too long. As soon as you think you figured it out Mother nature throws you a curve ball. Wish I had help from the 2017 Astros on this one. LOL
I have always used the following rule when it comes to ground temps and preEm application timing.
Check the green cast application/website and select the calendar and go out 10 days to see forecast for ground temps.
If the forecast shows 7 or more consecutive days of ground temps above 60 degrees, I will put down Pre-Em a few days before that, assuming the forecast hasn't changed.

· Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,576 Posts
I guess I'm the oddball as I don't concern myself with soil temps when applying Pre Emergent. I applied my Winter app at the end of October and won't apply my Spring app until March/April as I usually verticut the lawn during my scalp and I also plan on aerating once I'm closer to 100% green up, after that I will apply. I have found that scalping and verticutting removes most of the weeds you get or have over the Winter so there is no rush to get the PreM down until all of that is done. I suppose if you have/had a lot of weeds and you are trying to get them under control, going by soil temp is a good idea but if you already have a thick and healthy lawn then there is less to stress about in the Spring. Also most Winter/early Spring weeds aren't going to hang around long once the temperatures start to rise and your lawn starts taking off. I think some people over focus on PreM when they should just focus on getting their lawn thick and healthy as that will do far more at keeping weeds at bay than any Pre or Post emergent herbicide you can buy.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I'm the oddball as I don't concern myself with soil temps when applying Pre Emergent. I applied my Winter app at the end of October and won't apply my Spring app until March/April as I usually verticut the lawn during my scalp and I also plan on aerating once I'm closer to 100% green up, after that I will apply. I have found that scalping and verticutting removes most of the weeds you get or have over the Winter so there is no rush to get the PreM down until all of that is done. I suppose if you have/had a lot of weeds and you are trying to get them under control, going by soil temp is a good idea but if you already have a thick and healthy lawn then there is less to stress about in the Spring. Also most Winter/early Spring weeds aren't going to hang around long once the temperatures start to rise and your lawn starts taking off. I think some people over focus on PreM when they should just focus on getting their lawn thick and healthy as that will do far more at keeping weeds at bay than any Pre or Post emergent herbicide you can buy.
@Mightyquinn, All great points.I agree with you about developing a healthy lawn as the best weed control measure.
Newer/renovated lawns will have more weeds and therefore more need for Pre-Em and post-Em weed control.
My lawn this year is much better/Healthier than when it was first laid 3 years ago.
This year my Emerald Zoysia lawn was thicker and had fewer weeds than the previous 2 years and last year was the first year I used Pre-Em starting last fall.

I believe this year it will be even healthier with fewer wees than last year.

I believe if people learn to "read" how their lawn is looking and growing, instead of following a rigid program regardless of how the lawn looks or is performing.

· Premium Member
2,281 Posts
@Mightyquinn, All great points.I agree with you about developing a healthy lawn as the best weed control measure.
Newer/renovated lawns will have more weeds and therefore more need for Pre-Em and post-Em weed control.
My lawn this year is much better/Healthier than when it was first laid 3 years ago.
This year my Emerald Zoysia lawn was thicker and had fewer weeds than the previous 2 years and last year was the first year I used Pre-Em starting last fall.

I believe this year it will be even healthier with fewer wees than last year.

I believe if people learn to "read" how their lawn is looking and growing, instead of following a rigid program regardless of how the lawn looks or is performing.

I agree on just watching your stuff and not sticking to a rigid plan. I also think a lot of new people get caught up adding a bunch of crap to their lawns, when I’m pretty sure less is best from what I’ve seen in my years of working on my own stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts