Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to resize my flower bed and remove some lava rock along some edging that I installed last year. The lava rock looked nice but after a couple of months, it just didn't make the cut. I was left with about 75sqft of bare dirt, and I decided to take advantage of the warmer temps and laid out some sprigs. Temperatures are averaging around 70s highs and 60s lows. It has been about 2 weeks since I sprigged the area. We have also been getting plenty of rain so that has helped me keeping this nice and wet. I used a mix of top soil and sand to topdress. I have noticed a sign of life on the sprigs, little tips of green. I wanted to share since sprigging is usually recommended in warmer months but I figured I would take advantage of the rainy season and at the same time, get something growing. I will post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Keep us updated please!! This is a VERY interesting project you have going here. Hope it all turns out like you want!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almost forgot about this thread. It's been almost 6 weeks since I sprigged this area. Temps have been the same with an avg high of 65-70 and low of 55-60. Not much growth but plenty of sprigs are rooting. I didn't expect much but to get something growing. I haven't watered since I took advantage of our wet "spring". I fertilized the area with 25-24-0 starter fertilizer. I will take some pics when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Iriasj2009 said:
Almost forgot about this thread. It's been almost 6 weeks since I sprigged this area. Temps have been the same with an avg high of 65-70 and low of 55-60. Not much growth but plenty of sprigs are rooting. I didn't expect much but to get something growing. I haven't watered since I took advantage of our wet "spring". I fertilized the area with 25-24-0 starter fertilizer. I will take some pics when I get home.
Are you home from work yet?? :lol: Just kidding of course!! Can't wait to see how this all turns out!!

@Red, You might want to pick his brain as I think this might be a great course of action for your front lawn that the city tore up!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for keeping y'all waiting lol.
Red I recommend sprigging over plugging if you can keep the area wet. Plugs seem to take longer to fill in vs sprigging, but plugs don't need much care compared to sprigs. Here you can see sprigs spreading already.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
I remember reading/watching somewhere while a was researching sprigging that you'll have 1% coverage after the first week then it will double every following week. So 2% after week 2, 4% week 3, 8% week 4, 16% week 5, 32% week 6, 64% week 7 and near complete cover at week 8. Now with you sprigging with the cooler temps YMMV but with the established grass also encroaching once the temps get hotter it's going to grow in quickly.

Looking good Irias, they are sending out stolons so it won't be long now :thumbup:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
J_nick said:
I remember reading/watching somewhere while a was researching sprigging that you'll have 1% coverage after the first week then it will double every following week. So 2% after week 2, 4% week 3, 8% week 4, 16% week 5, 32% week 6, 64% week 7 and near complete cover at week 8. Now with you sprigging with the cooler temps YMMV but with the established grass also encroaching once the temps get hotter it's going to grow in quickly.

Looking good Irias, they are sending out stolons so it won't be long now :thumbup:
Thanks, and great info jnick!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.