Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys that own these things...can you please provide a review and model? I just spent 30 minutes on YouTube trying to find someone that actually has a full load of weight and wanted to see them dump it and couldn't find that. I found a guy with mulch..woohoo, we all know that doesn't weigh much. I wanted to see something like a load of sand and see how much you have to struggle to get it to dump. It doesn't appear that there is any assist, like a spring load or anything to help with the dumping part, but I'm just watching vids.

TIA

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
I have the 6ft3[/sup] Gorilla Cart. Looks like it is on sale for $109 at Lowe's this weekend!

It has large pneumatic tires and rolls really smooth across the lawn. The handle flips around to make a hitch, so you can also pull it behind a lawn tractor.

I can dump it with a heaping load of sand. It's heavy, but I feel like it's a fair trade for not feeling like your arms are 3-inches longer after running a wheelbarrow all day. I also like that the weight is distributed to 4 wheels instead of 1 - so it isn't as prone to rut the grass with a full load of sand. I think this is important on a 1/2" lawn.

If I had to have one complaint, it would be that it doesn't dump completely - you have to either pull the last bit of whatever you're dumping out with a rake or shovel, or tip the whole cart up a little. It's just due to the angle of the back of the cart and the height off the ground when in the 'dump' position - see second photo below. Sort of like having to break a wheelbarrow a little over top dead center and twisting it a little to get it away from the pile you just dumped.

They make a smaller Gorilla Cart, but it isn't as robust. Lowe's usually has both on display, so you can compare them.

They also make 10ft[sup]3[/sup] model, but it is like $300. I haven't seen one of these in person. For the price (especially at $109), I don't think you can go wrong with the 6ft[sup]3 model.

I thought I had a video I could share, but forgot I recorded it in time lapse.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Mine is a cheaper version of that. Ive moved 4 bags of play sand with it.. hard but did it. Mine the wheels never hold the air long so they are always partially flat and that is what makes it hard to move.

I will say its lasted yeaaaars though

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
What Ware said. I have the same one. Same problem getting the last bit out. Do not get the smaller one. I bought the smaller one thinking it was the bigger one on a super deal over winter and put it together 4 months later. After I put it together I realized it was not the big one and i was ticked. Next day I went and bought the big one Ware spoke of.

I like it way better than a traditional wheel barrow and you can tow it. It holds a lot of weight. No trouble lifting it. No more trouble than a wheel barrow.

I'm using mine now to cut some beds in. I do recommend it. I paid 130 from Lowes.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just picked mine up today and it is a no brainer to assemble since it is the 'new and improved' version. At one point Lowes' used to have 10% off coupons in a change of address packet you get from the post office(and I stopped at my local PO to check into that), but I guess they don't do that anymore. I paid the $109+tax...thanks guys and thanks for the sale info. Ware.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I have the GroundWorks 1,400 lb capacity cart from Tractor Supply. It's done me well through the years and looks to be exactly like the Gorilla cart.

GroundWork Pro Series Cart

For those of you that have issues with the tires going flat, I've had success with Tire Slime, it does a good job of sealing any holes and keeps the air from leaking out so fast. Also be sure to check the valve stem and valve core too. You can spray some soapy water into the valve stem to see if any air is leaking out as it will create bubbles. Either tighten it some more or remove the core and lube it with some oil and put it back in and it should fix any issues you had.

·
Registered
210 Posts
TulsaFan said:
Showing up late to the party again regarding Gorilla Carts. Is the 1,200 capacity cart still the favored cart? I have been looking for a sale and have not yet seen any...I hate/refuse paying MSRP. :x
I own it and love it. @Ware was spot on with his review. Better than Stretch Armstronging a wheelbarrow all day, but it doesn't completely dump. All I know is the first weekend I had it I was working in the yard and turned around to see my wife pulling it across the yard with a full load of debris. I knew it was worth every penny at that very moment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed: 1,200lb Gorilla Cart. I've used mine for numerous tasks over the last couple years and would quickly by another without hesitation if mine were to disappear. As others have noted it doesn't dump completely without a little assistance, but that's a minor gripe.

·
Super Moderator
Northern Mix (12k)
6,171 Posts
Ware said:
TulsaFan said:
Finally found a cart on sale. I think I am going to pull the trigger this afternoon.
Nice. That looks identical to my Gorilla.
Wonder if they're all made by the same company and just re labeled?

·
Registered
31 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
Mine the wheels never hold the air long so they are always partially flat and that is what makes it hard to move.

I will say its lasted yeaaaars though
Same with mine. I've had it about 6 years. Two years ago I had some extra "Green Leak Stop" used for bike tires laying around. I put that in my gorilla carts wheels. Haven't had to put any more air in them since.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.