Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got some handy individuals on here. My challenge is typically not knowing where to go to source materials. Anyone looked at making their own chain drag mat? If so, where did you find the steel linked part of the mat. I'm talking something that matches a commercial product, versus a piece of chain link fence being pulled around.

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,870 Posts
gijoe4500 said:
...The drag mats off of amazon are cheaper than buying that stuff directly from McMaster, then you need everything else still and the labor to put it together.
+1, I don't see any reason to overthink this one.

· Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it was just driven by curiosity. If the materials were $40, I'd happily put it together on my own. In this case, purchase a finished product is looking like the right choice.

For any of you guys pulling one by hand - what size drag mat size are you pulling? 3x3? 3x5? 4x6?

· Registered
2,958 Posts
I had a 3x3 (I think) from @Topcat. I have a small yard. Sometimes I wished it was longer or wider but mostly it was perfect.

If you have long flat stretches and not a lot of obstacles I'd rather have wider than longer.

· Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to hi-jack my own thread and modify the title.

Any suggestion for rubber vs metal vs the brush style mats?

How do you all avoid the mat flexing and pulling material out of trenches?

Any suggested size?

I am learning towards the metal 3'x5' style.

· Registered
263 Posts
Movingshrub said:
Yeah it was just driven by curiosity. If the materials were $40, I'd happily put it together on my own. In this case, purchase a finished product is looking like the right choice.

For any of you guys pulling one by hand - what size drag mat size are you pulling? 3x3? 3x5? 4x6?
I have a 5'x3' drag mat. My yard is around 4700 sq ft and it was no problem to pull by hand.

· Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts

· Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kur1j said:
@Movingshrub Ive got my 5x3 Im about to use to level my yard. You are welcome to come and drag my yard to try it out ;).
I might take you up on that just to see the size and have a feel for the weight. To be honest, I actually was considering PM'ing you to check out your reel mower but figured I'd wait until you got the reel fixed. I'm really interested in the Toros, the JDs, and the Jacobsen 500 series and want to learn more about the ergonomics of operating and using one. My yard is a 1/3rd of an acre, plus my front yard has a slope where it averages out to a drop of 5/8th of an inch, every foot. Unfortunately for me, the rate of drop off isn't constant.

There's one guy on RSA who told me he has a McClane, Toro 1600, and Toro Flex 21. I definitely want to check out the two Toros he has and also encourage him to join TLF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.