Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started late in the lawn hobby(October) but I’m learning a lot quickly. One of the most confusing and debated is applying fertilizer now/winter.

There’s the “no, your wasting your money because the grass is dormant and can’t use it” and then the “yes it will stay in the soil and give the grass a boost in the spring” or “as long as it low Nitrogen it won’t hurt it”.

I’m in N Ala with Bermuda. So is there a correct (yes/no) answer? I mean we have freezing temps last week but tomorrow it’s 66 and rain. I hate to let a good rain go to waste.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
The only thing you really can/need to apply in the Winter is Lime but without a soil test there is no need to do so.

Reactions: EBelew

·
Registered
177 Posts
N AL here as well. All I’m doing now is killing cool season grassy weeds in my Bermuda. I sprayed Prodiamine in Sep. It was ineffective on these cool season grasses. I spoke to a local turf grass guy who says Prodiamine works better if applied in Winter for Crabgrass and to use Simazine in the Fall. He said they’ll have all their lawns complete with Prodiamine in Jan/Feb. I’m going to spray a 6 month application in Jan. …but, I won’t fertilize until Spring.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
N AL here as well. All I’m doing now is killing cool season grassy weeds in my Bermuda. I sprayed Prodiamine in Sep. It was ineffective on these cool season grasses. I spoke to a local turf grass guy who says Prodiamine works better if applied in Winter for Crabgrass and to use Simazine in the Fall. He said they’ll have all their lawns complete with Prodiamine in Jan/Feb. I’m going to spray a 6 month application in Jan. …but, I won’t fertilize until Spring.
I got started late in game and got Prodiamine down first week in November. I’ll do a round of Isoxaben 75WG next week and leave it alone til Spring. May do a winterize fertilizer with rain coming. Just spot killing the weeds. You’ve come a long way with yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts